Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory build - NOT do it myself

iapa

5 hours ago, malc-c said:

Not seen something like that since I left my job as an IT Projects Technician....

Recently retired Technical PM.

My view was to use what I know to get finance approved, and to plan it.

Reports will also allow me to keep track - and keep my hand in too.

Edited by iapa

Here’s the un-shuttered and sealed base with power conduit in place.

All hose it all down in next few days and put Telegizmo 365 cover over.

IMG_5624.thumb.jpeg.2469170f2b7a2d78c5c30b8cf03b4276.jpeg

Edited by iapa

The first week of lead time for the Pulsar observatory has now passed, only 3-5 weeks left.

Got my 1st quote for electrical work, £2112

1. Supply & Install Sub consumer unit for
  2. Supply & install 70 metres 10mm 3core SWA
  3. Wire sockets radial in shed, including trunking conduit
  4. insta clients consumer unit in shed
  5. Install clients cat § Cable and terminate with RJ45 ends (we will only supply internal ends)

I’ve previously been advised the existing consumer unit is not to spec, but, they omitted that from the list.

Cost of armoured cabled quoted is £18/metre - about 3x the costs I’ve seen elsewhere - but this is where they make there money.

Electrical work is also not too urgent as I have dual external sockets at the back wall near the other end of the conduit.

I think I’ll get the cable myself - and wait for the other quotes.

16 hours ago, AstroKeith said:

I dont suppose their £18/m included burial costs?

If so, that seems a reasonable all up price.

There is ducting in place, so just needs pulled through with a snake.

10mm three core SWA from a leading electrical wholesaler often used by the trade retails at £6.18 per meter, so your 70m would cost £432.60 retail inc vat.  The cost for internal trunking, which more likely will be metal is around £16 for a 3m length, but it's the labour installing it that's probably pushed that part of the quote up as the pipe will need to be bent slightly in two directions to enter and leave each socket and be flush against the wall for fixing.  I would have thought that as they would only need to pull the cables through the ducting and terminate each end and install a simple ring main in a "shed" a max of two days labour would be my estimate.  Depending where you are you could be paying £300 - £350 per day, so £700 in labour.  However he's in business, has overheads and needs to put food on his family's table and pay his mortgage, but £2100 does seem a tad high.   

If he's local, ask for details of previous customers in your area so you can independently get feedback or even see his standard of workmanship.  You only need to watch a few youtube videos from small electricians to see cases where they lost a job on price, but then were called back to fix things as the customer wasn't happy, often resulting in the lot being ripped out as it was done well below standard.

One other thing, I'm sure a lot of the work could be done by yourself.  The fitting of the back boxes and trunking and bolting the new sub consumer unit to the wall doesn't need an electrician.  Once fitted the electrician then only needs to run and terminate the cabling which could reduce the cost as that could be done in a day.  Maybe worth having a chat with the guy to see what you can do to make the quote cheaper and make his job easier.

22 minutes ago, malc-c said:

10mm three core SWA from a leading electrical wholesaler often used by the trade retails at £6.18 per meter, so your 70m would cost £432.60 retail inc vat.  The cost for internal trunking, which more likely will be metal is around £16 for a 3m length, but it's the labour installing it that's probably pushed that part of the quote up as the pipe will need to be bent slightly in two directions to enter and leave each socket and be flush against the wall for fixing.  I would have thought that as they would only need to pull the cables through the ducting and terminate each end and install a simple ring main in a "shed" a max of two days labour would be my estimate.  Depending where you are you could be paying £300 - £350 per day, so £700 in labour.  However he's in business, has overheads and needs to put food on his family's table and pay his mortgage, but £2100 does seem a tad high.   

If he's local, ask for details of previous customers in your area so you can independently get feedback or even see his standard of workmanship.  You only need to watch a few youtube videos from small electricians to see cases where they lost a job on price, but then were called back to fix things as the customer wasn't happy, often resulting in the lot being ripped out as it was done well below standard.

One other thing, I'm sure a lot of the work could be done by yourself.  The fitting of the back boxes and trunking and bolting the new sub consumer unit to the wall doesn't need an electrician.  Once fitted the electrician then only needs to run and terminate the cabling which could reduce the cost as that could be done in a day.  Maybe worth having a chat with the guy to see what you can do to make the quote cheaper and make his job easier.

Re your last, unfortunately I nerve problem that causes constant shakes in my arms and prevents using tools easily which is why I am having to get someone in.

I Used to do all the electrical work before that.

• Sad 1

On 07/02/2023 at 10:29, iapa said:

Re your last, unfortunately I nerve problem that causes constant shakes in my arms and prevents using tools easily which is why I am having to get someone in.

I Used to do all the electrical work before that.

I see.. I think that there comes a point in life where we all have to step back and let others work for us.  I'm only 61 next month, but with disk problems and trapped nerves can no longer do the things it used to do.  I just took delivery of a new washing machine and paid the extra to have the delivery team unpack the new one, install it and take away the old machine for recycling.  It cost me £50 to do so but saved me putting my back out and causing more damage.  I built my observatory in 2011 and was fitter and more able than I am now.... wouldn't be able to do it now !

On 07/02/2023 at 09:15, iapa said:

There is ducting in place, so just needs pulled through with a snake.

Do you have a couple of handy grand kids to help you pull in some £6.18 SWA and ask the Electrician to just gland and terminate it?

I think what I want to do is to run external fibre

• from observatory to waterproof housing on house external wall, through wall to a second housing with coupler connecting to indoor cabling.
  • in the observatory, the outdoor fibre would run via media converter to RJ45 Ethernet connector initially - I will add a couple of metres more that I need just in case

To the fibre cabling experts:

1. Does that make sense?
  2. any recommendations for external/internal cable specs 
  3. ditto for media converters

I’m too long in the tooth to start becoming knowledgable in this as well :(, and why do it if someone can advise/explain the basics.

• 2 months later...
On 06/02/2023 at 16:46, iapa said:

The first week of lead time for the Pulsar observatory has now passed, only 3-5 weeks left.

Pulsar Observatory due to be delivered Thurs 13.

Power and network cables have been pulled through the conduit courtesy of an installation engineer recommended by CFO.

More good news, had my eyes tested last week and cataracts degraded significantly in past 6 months, so was referred to NHS - lead time 60+ weeks

Booked test with Optical Express last Thus, for this am, and my cataract surgery is 26th April this year.

Bad news, some planned work of power distribution will be deferred to pay for this.

Edited by iapa
Type
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

wet weather after a week to let everything settle, the cataract surgery last Wednesday.

I can now see!!!!

another few weeks before I am allowed to bend and lift heavy kit, then full steam ahead, I hope

• Like 2

On 31/01/2023 at 18:51, iapa said:

here is what I presented for CFO to gain approval for my build.

Microsoft 365 (Office).pdf 230.37 kB · 99 downloads

I can't believe you wrote a PID for the observatory build! I'm managing a banking system upgrade and can't get them to write a PID 😞 .

But I'd like to see your governance structure including the process for managing change requests. Also, you haven't recorded the CFO's approval so this isn't auditable as it stands. 

Don't mention it, glad to be of help 🙂

p.s. I'm jealous. Lovely location and great build.

On 08/05/2023 at 11:57, Padraic M said:

I can't believe you wrote a PID for the observatory build! I'm managing a banking system upgrade and can't get them to write a PID 😞 .

But I'd like to see your governance structure including the process for managing change requests. Also, you haven't recorded the CFO's approval so this isn't auditable as it stands. 

Don't mention it, glad to be of help 🙂

p.s. I'm jealous. Lovely location and great build.

Many years as a PM, I got used to writing them.

The version posted was passed for approval, I just didn’t post the approval.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

After my last post, I have fallen out of the shower and injured my back, so, no bending until this week.

also have had an eye checkup, but need to go back for another review next week and will hopefully get that signed off.

So, next steps will be

• fit cameras
  • confirming dome and shutter functionality
  • laying floor lining and flooring
  • set up power
  • Set up rig
  • start imaging

as if it would be that simple.

for example I really do need to decide whether this set up will primarily be imaging emission nebula or galaxies

Edited by iapa