Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

choosing targets based on electromagnetic emissions?

MG01

Is there anywhere on the interwebs that can help produce a list of targets based upon their electromagnetic spectrum emissions? 

I've been using Telescopius to produce a list of suitable targets based on location and target time above 40° to make sure I have long enough to capture data but I'd like to be able to filter based upon emissions so that I can match up to either DSLR or CCD and choose a suitable filter that isn't going to cut out useful data.  Any thoughts?

You kind of have to just research which kind of target the one you're imaging is. Galaxies, galaxy clusters, open clusters, dusty dark nebulae and reflection nebulae (bright blue ones, like the Pleiades) benefit from no filter at all, other than UV/IR. These are broad spectrum targets so there is no specific filter you can use to block unwanted wavelengths since all the wavelengths are wanted.

For emission nebulae H-alpha is the brightest typically, Oxygen III the second brightest and Sulfur II the least bright. Those are pretty much your options if you want to go narrowband. H-alpha is the most useful, the other 2 depend on the target. Its best to research a target before imaging so you dont go ahead and image 10 hours of OIII on a target that is almost entirely H-alpha.

• Thanks 1

On 22/01/2023 at 12:41, MG01 said:

I'd like to be able to filter based upon emissions so that I can match up to either DSLR or CCD and choose a suitable filter that isn't going to cut out useful data.  Any thoughts?

I am not aware of a site that has a ready reckoner for what you are asking. As the equipment I have is limited, I go about it like this. First get a list of objects that are visible for the period. Make a shortlist based on FOV, magnitude etc and narrow it down to a single object for the night. As an example a faint nebula with Ha is likely to take more subs and this may not fit into a single night. I also set aside time to setup and dismantle scope, sort technical glitches like guiding not working, camera not connecting, the list is endless. HTH.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

I am not aware of a site that has a ready reckoner for what you are asking. As the equipment I have is limited, I go about it like this. First get a list of objects that are visible for the period. Make a shortlist based on FOV, magnitude etc and narrow it down to a single object for the night. As an example a faint nebula with Ha is likely to take more subs and this may not fit into a single night. I also set aside time to setup and dismantle scope, sort technical glitches like guiding not working, camera not connecting, the list is endless. HTH.

That's pretty much where I'm at.  I'm very limited with imaging time at the moment as we live in a flat.  Most of our sessions are at star camps or camping trips.  What magnitude limit do you tend to set?  Telescopius has the option to limit on time above a certain elevation which helps too.

21 hours ago, MG01 said:

That's pretty much where I'm at.  I'm very limited with imaging time at the moment as we live in a flat.  Most of our sessions are at star camps or camping trips.  What magnitude limit do you tend to set?  Telescopius has the option to limit on time above a certain elevation which helps too.

I set magnitude around 10. Because I use Kstars I have also mapped my horizon so altitude is taken care of. HTH

2 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

I set magnitude around 10. Because I use Kstars I have also mapped my horizon so altitude is taken care of. HTH

I hadn't heard of Kstars and have just looked it up...looks like a great piece of software.  I've been using APT and was thinking about trying out NINA but Kstars looks pretty good too.  We really are spoilt for choice with software these days.

23 minutes ago, MG01 said:

I hadn't heard of Kstars and have just looked it up...looks like a great piece of software.  I've been using APT and was thinking about trying out NINA but Kstars looks pretty good too.  We really are spoilt for choice with software these days.

If you are a Windows user then Kstars has a limitation when it comes to managing the devices. It uses INDI drivers which work on Linux, Mac or RPi

• Like 1

On the topic of NINA, the sky atlas and framing tool in it is excellent. You can set limitations such as size, coordinates in the sky, elevation from the horizon between your chosen period of time, magnitude, type of target etc.

Found many interesting imaging ideas browsing that tool that i doubt i would have run into otherwise.

• Like 1