Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C6 OTA

I currently have a 102 mm f7 ed refractor. An excellent tradional telescope which I enjoy using and will keep.

But I recently sold my Celestron C6 OTA. I used this as a travel telescope on visits to dark skies in Swanage and Wales.

What a mistake to sell it. I cannot see new ones for sale anywhere. Have they stopped making them?

I once enjoyed owning a Celestron C5. I found that the C6 gave much brighter views. You would expect that given the extra size. But they were pleasingly much brighter. Oh for the addition of another C6 to my armoury. Are there plans to sell the C6 OTA again I wonder?

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Have you considered a 6” Classical Cassegrain ?  

I have a Classical Cassegrain 6", but do not get on with it to be honest. I also have a C5, which I have used alongside the CC6 and the C5 won. I am aware that I may well have a very good example of C5 though. For me, the size and weight of the CC6 very much work against it. I have the TS version, which they claim weighs in at 5.4 KG, which puts it in the size range of a 8" SCT. I can manage both the C5 and 72 EDF and suspect they would be lighter/easier to manage, combined than the CC6. ( The new mount from Skywatcher comes to mind here. ) 

I had trouble when getting my C5, in finding it as an OTA alone, so got it with CG4 mount, which only added £20 to the price of the OTA. Have you considered that? Not a CG4, but the C6 is still bundled with some mounts. The Starsense Explorer springs straight to mind: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-starsense-explorer-series/celestron-starsense-explorer-dx-6.html

I have considered this myself, with all the hype surrounding the Starsense app. Not too bad for £699 and I bet the mount could very easily be sold on too. There are other bundles too, if you look around and don't mind the hassle of selling the mount on. If not and you want just the 6" SCT, Have you considered a Meade? However just the LX65 OTA comes in dearer than the Starsense option. https://www.meadeuk.com/Meade-LX65-6-inch-ACF-OTA-only.html

Such an option is very much on my radar. :smiley:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

None .It does not have  any  as it is a Mak.  One of the best portable 6"scopes l have used .This was a   Impulse buy .

Oh, are you sure ?

what are the three round plastic caps on the back for ?

Edit: I found these instructions, the Ioptron has three sets of two bolts at the rear for collimation.

https://www.ioptron.com/v/Manuals/6101_MAK150_Collimation.pdf

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Oh, are you sure ?

what are the three round plastic caps on the back for ?

Edit: I found these instructions, the Ioptron has three sets of two bolts at the rear for collimation.

https://www.ioptron.com/v/Manuals/6101_MAK150_Collimation.pdf

Hi Dave. I did not realise it had any . It seems to be pretty good . My  C8 HD did need doing .

Your always frightened that you will make it worse.  You learn something every day.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 23:23, Grump Martian said:

I currently have a 102 mm f7 ed refractor. An excellent tradional telescope which I enjoy using and will keep.

But I recently sold my Celestron C6 OTA. I used this as a travel telescope on visits to dark skies in Swanage and Wales.

What a mistake to sell it. I cannot see new ones for sale anywhere. Have they stopped making them?

I once enjoyed owning a Celestron C5. I found that the C6 gave much brighter views. You would expect that given the extra size. But they were pleasingly much brighter. Oh for the addition of another C6 to my armoury. Are there plans to sell the C6 OTA again I wonder?

I’m sure they will appear again in the future. I really enjoyed mine as it was so light.

• Like 1