NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deciding on a planetary camera

gonzostar

Hello

I use a canon 70d for deepsky subjects. However i'm also wanting a planetary camera. I have a budget of about £300

I have 2 scopes a ES102APO triplet and a C8. I use a AVX mount

Does anyone recommend or use the following OSC cameras?

ZWO ASI662

ZWO ASI178

ZWO ASI385, 

Looked at the Astronomy tools and still cant fully decide. Would be grateful for any opinions

Thanks

Dean

I use the 385 with a skymax and it gives out similar results ish in the calculator to your C8. I'm quite happy with it and without doubling your budget I can't see you bettering it. It looks like it works well with your ES102 too. All the best.

• Like 1

I dabble in the simplest of ways. I just use the zwo software package and take single shots on solar system stuff. I tweak the picture there and then so its my version of planetary eeva 🤪. You will find if you stick the 385mc on your es102 and use the zwo software, the camera will work surprisingly well on dso eeva. I have moved on slightly and bought a second camera, the asi290mm for dso eeva and much as I will never win any prizes I am quite pleased with the results. All the best.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

I’d bear in mind if using usb3 you really need pc to be close to mount if using high frame rates within 2m thats what I’ve learnt using a zwo 585mc .

Cheers, will bear this in mind. I've also being reading about WIFI to operate mount etc. But this way down the line. Just figured out where on/off button is 😁