NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's the best way to clean your sensor?

Trippelforge

I think I have a few dust particles on the new camera I picked up. Unless the guy "forgot" to warn me about any defects. I haven't ever cleaned a sensor before and my old camera never got a smudge. I noticed a few various things I have purchased came with microfiber cloths. But I do not want to damage the camera at all, and wasn't sure if once modified things could be more fragile.

Can you guys tell me the best / safest way to do it? I haven't recently cleaned my scope lens either, and was curious if that would be the same process. 

37 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Thank you very much!

I assume it's the same for a DSLR? I wonder if the cleaning feature has been disabled do to being modified? As I have both those types of spots showing up on images... 

Edited by Trippelforge
  • Like 1

You can get camera sensor cleaning wands from the usual well known online retailers. They should be specific to your sensor size - APS-C, Micro 4/3, Full Frame etc. They're like miniature spades but the blade is soft and acts like a gentle scraper on the sensor. 

They're intended for use on sensors that still have some form of cover glass over the actual sensor, not for direct application to the sensor itself.

I've used them on my unmodded Sony a5000 along with a Jeweller's Loupe. After a 1st cleaning attempt, it was only with the loupe that I was able to see the microscopic grains of dirt that resisted the initial efforts. 

I then used Baader Wonder Fluid and cloth with the wand to ensure even spread over the window and that pretty much sorted it. 

I'm now obsessive about making sure I don't let dust into the camera body when changing lenses or attaching it to my telescope, but I have a cleaning technique that seems to deal with most dust so far.

Hope that's helped. 

Mike

Edited by Stickey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stickey said:

You can get camera sensor cleaning wands from the usual well known online retailers. They should be specific to your sensor size - APS-C, Micro 4/3, Full Frame etc. They're like miniature spades but the blade is soft and acts like a gentle scraper on the sensor. 

They're intended for use on sensors that still have some form of cover glass over the actual sensor, not for direct application to the sensor itself.

I've used them on my unmodded Sony a5000 along with a Jeweller's Loupe. After a 1st cleaning attempt, it was only with the loupe that I was able to see the microscopic grains of dirt that resisted the initial efforts. 

I then used Baader Wonder Fluid and cloth with the wand to ensure even spread over the window and that pretty much sorted it. 

I'm now obsessive about making sure I don't let dust into the camera body when changing lenses or attaching it to my telescope, but I have a cleaning technique that seems to deal with most dust so far.

Hope that's helped. 

Mike

Thanks, I had no idea they made specific sizes. Ya I was always really careful with my previous camera, wouldn't even move the adapter without it flipped upside down incase something chipped. I guess the previous owner of my new camera wasn't so anal about it. It did luckily have the cap on it when it arrived. But I have one darker spot and a few small more transparent looking ones. I am really hoping it's just dust. The really dark one is way up top left so cropping it out isn't a biggie at least. It was modified, but only a Ha, I assume the sensor cleaner still works? I am a bit anxious.