Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What plywood?

The Warthog

I am going to use birch ply for my dob. Now, there is only a 10% difference in price between 1/2" and 3/4" ply, so it's not a matter of price, but of weight. Should I use 3/4" for the base and box, or will 1/2" do the job adequately for a lot less avoirdupois?

I'm a bit inclined to the 3/4 because I always feel that if a thing is worth doing, it's worth overdoing, but I will have to carry the thing around, and I know noone is going out of their way to help me.

I'm guessing the tube is going to weigh about 25 lbs. when complete, but that's a guess.

As they say, there's only one thing better than 1/2" ply ... and that's 3/4" ply! That's the one I'd go for to give some solidity for the tube. You could always attach some 'wheebarrow handles' if you find it's too heavy

Whichever ply you choose, make sure it's exterior grade and properly sealed to prevent the elements getting into it. Even better, use marine grade .... but that can become costly

Good luck

That's a 12" isn't it?

Well the sides of the base of my 14" are 3/4" and the base itself (both sides of the bearing) are 1 1/2" each so looks to be doubled up 3/4" (can't be sure as it's painted and filled at the edges). It's mighty solid but damn heavy. I'm fairly agile and under 40 (until the 20th anyhow) and find it at the limit of what I'd be happy to carry.

I'd definitely consider wheels/handles if you are going for the heavy option as well as somewhere to store it close to where you'll be observing.

Regards

Paul

Likewise - currently have a Dob shaped lean to shelter under construction!

My main reason being to have it ready at ambient temperature but must say I'm looking forward to not have to drag it though the house (with a 14" mirror it's a 16" tube and then the accompanying rocker box so there's plenty of opportunity for removing skin from knuckles on door frames);)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to start building my dob base for my 8" OTA and I cant decide what thickness of plywood to use. I was thinking of 1/2 " for sides, and then double thickness for the ground board and base board. what you recon?

Also, whilst im at it, wot size altitude bearing would you reocmmend for an 8" scope?

I have decided on 3/4" for the base and sides, and ½" for the mirror cell. I plan to use a toilet flange for the altitude bearing. If I can get teflon easily I will use that for the bearing, but I have been wondering about useing ABS for the bearing.Some people use vinyl LPs for the base bearing, and I have bags of those.

Archived