SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

California Nebula Bicolor

Rodd

I typically eschew "throw the paint against the wall" palettes, which invariably makes bicolor images for me a challenge--for they always "want" to be loud.  So they end up either neon-esque, or sickly pink. For this one I threw caution in the wind and did not worry overmuch about pallet--other than accentuating the OIII emissions as much as possible.  Framing is pushed to the right a bit, but that was intentional.  I was trying to capture all of the nebula on the western side (left part of this image--not sure if its east or west).  I just about got it, but there are vast, faint extensions in all directions.  Maybe a mosaic is in order.  But I will have to start again--and I do plan on adding SII--so maybe that is a project for next year.  After you have looked at this image, I understand cucumbers over the eyelids can help with the retinal burn.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600.  Ha: 129 300 sec; OIII: 59 300 sec

z3a3.thumb.jpg.e37baa832c7c2fe21188ae94491be728.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 15

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, symmetal said:

Impressive colourful image Rodd, though PGC14030 is more muted in this palette. 😊

Alan

Thanks--yes, I had not even thought to check.  Not sure why--SII is the only difference--and processing, of course.

• Like 1

Lovely. The California must look fluffy and yours does. Fluffy does not mean soft, by the way. The colour is fine by me but it's a half-second tweak with a slider to make it less intense. No cucumbers needed for my eyes in any case.

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely. The California must look fluffy and yours does. Fluffy does not mean soft, by the way. The colour is fine by me but it's a half-second tweak with a slider to make it less intense. No cucumbers needed for my eyes in any case.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  Yeah, a tweak downward would be good.