Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1805 - First Foray into Mono!

Budgie1

Last month I bought an Atik 428EX and a set of NB filters from @Shibby. I added to this an Atik EFW2 and a set of ZWO LRGB filters and have ended up with a really good mono setup for what is really very little money at all.

The usual purchase clouds meant I didn't get to try this setup until 3rd December, which was more about getting everything talking to APT, setting the filter positions and getting the new camera focused with my Evostar 80ed DS Pro. Well, with that done I manage 5x 300s Ha, 3x Oiii and 6x Sii which were usable from that night.

I then went on to do another two nights on the 12th & 13th Dec and finished up with:

• Ha - 35 x 300s = 2h55m
  • Oiii - 50 x 300s = 4h10m
  • Sii - 47 x 300s = 3h55m
  • Total - 11h00m

So, the target was IC1805, the centre of the Heart Nebula, and this is the first time I've processed SHO data from scratch. I think I've got it about right, but I'll maybe do some more research to try and improve it.

I've included the PixInsight cropped Master files for each filter, if someone what's to have a play. I know, they're .xisf files not TIFF so only those with PI can play with them. 

C's & C's are welcome and here's the image:

1882651326_IC1805-HeartNebula-11h0m-13122022-HaSHO-1.thumb.png.43bc863d6881f086d2a74e5678b5b8da.png

masterLight_BIN-1_1931x1451_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-Ha_mono_autocrop.xisf

masterLight_BIN-1_1931x1451_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-Oiii_mono_autocrop.xisf

masterLight_BIN-1_1931x1451_EXPOSURE-300.00s_FILTER-Sii_mono_autocrop.xisf

• Like 10

I tried a re-process of this one and used the new BlurXTerminator script for PI.

I think you'll agree this version is sooooooo much better, the colours are now correct for SHO and the detail is much more enhanced. :D

1290908961_IC1805-HeartNebula-11h0m-13122022-HaSHO.thumb.png.f2456b43f5dff097011a2b00a4cfe101.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I hadn't noticed this new script but sounds interesting.
Does BlurXTerminator basically use deconvolution then but it does all the hard work for you ?
Deconvolution is one process that I really struggle with and it tales me ages to get good results that don't look odd.

Steve

It's a bit like using Topaz Sharpen AI but it seems to do a better job and doesn't add detail which isn't there originally. There's a thread running about it with an Adam Block video looking at the script. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
Added thread link.
  • Thanks 1

On 15/12/2022 at 20:53, Budgie1 said:

I've included the PixInsight cropped Master files for each filter, if someone what's to have a play.

Thanks for sharing Martin.  I didn't run BlurX very hard (I feel the one above is quite strong - nothing wrong with that).

I did have a little trouble with colour though, so it's quite subdued on that front.  Hopefully complements your images above 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.9600d30c71bf0ad60f3c2e7f7ec4c1b0.jpeg

EDIT: slight revision

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, geeklee said:

Thanks for sharing Martin.  I didn't run BlurX very hard (I feel the one above is quite strong - nothing wrong with that).

I did have a little trouble with colour though, so it's quite subdued on that front.  Hopefully complements your images above 👍

It was my first play with BlurXT, so I may have gone a little hard with it, and maybe not at the right time as well. ;)

I found there was a fair bit of green once the SHO was combined, but once that was removed with SCNR then the colours were okay and increased nicely with Curves Saturation. I think the subtle colours in yours brings out the background dust better then in my second image. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your data Martin! Just as a bit of fun I processed your image without PixInsight or BlurXTerminator for comparison. The files can be opened in ASTAP and saved as FITS.

For this version I used Siril, Starnet++ and Photoshop. To my eyes the image looks sharp enough just by using a combination of high pass and smart sharpen filters in Photoshop.

CS, Tony.

HeartSHO.jpg

• Like 2