Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 446 to NGC 2264 - OSC widefield

old_eyes

A widefield OSC image of an attractive part of the sky from IC 446 to the Christmas Tree Cluster (NGC 2264) in Monoceros. Emission, reflection and dark nebulae.

A total of 2 hrs exposure on Pier 5 @Roboscopes in Spain - Tak Epsilon 180, ASI 2400 MC Pro, unguided Paramount MX.

IC447.thumb.jpg.a00aec1eb75e3035039ec9f70a13b52d.jpg

Annotated version

IC447_final_Annotated.thumb.jpg.f661958a6843dfc8b4c0fb373e33f388.jpg

• Like 13

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Very nice. Have yet to process my data of the same region. I really like IC2169

Yes, the whole reflection complex of IC 2169, NGC 2245, NGC 2247 and IC 446 is very nice, and there is a lot more detail in those nebulae than I have brought out in this image. If I can find a way I will try and get a closer view of these objects.

Do you have OSC or LRGB data? I was surprised how good the OSC came out.

old_eyes

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/12/2022 at 18:09, GalaxyGael said:

Very nice indeed, trying to build up exposure time doing this target group myself with 300mm fl and aps-c 2600 OSC, similar fov. 

At 300mm FL I assume you are using a camera lens. What F ratio are you operating at? The Epsilon 180 is F2.8, and therefore pretty fast (near RASA fast). As I noted, I only used 2 hours exposure to get that image, so depending on your F-number and skies, you should not have to wait too long for a nice image.

18 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

At 300mm FL I assume you are using a camera lens. What F ratio are you operating at? The Epsilon 180 is F2.8, and therefore pretty fast (near RASA fast). As I noted, I only used 2 hours exposure to get that image, so depending on your F-number and skies, you should not have to wait too long for a nice image.

No, it's a 60mm f/5 quintuplet and already getting all the colour through after 1.5 hrs.  Not like your 180ed or my 130D but thankfully it's a fairly bright target and comes through nicely on the scope/camera combination with similar fov to yours. Houses cut it off for me 1 hr after meridian so it will get 2 hrs or so before moving onto the main targets of the next few nights. It's a nice target group though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

No, it's a 60mm f/5 quintuplet and already getting all the colour through after 1.5 hrs.  Not like your 180ed or my 130D but thankfully it's a fairly bright target and comes through nicely on the scope/camera combination with similar fov to yours. Houses cut it off for me 1 hr after meridian so it will get 2 hrs or so before moving onto the main targets of the next few nights. It's a nice target group though

F5 is still pretty fast. Around 3x longer exposure for the same number of photons, so a few nights at 2 hours will give you a nice SNR.

• Like 1