Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to store your OTA every night

Hi all,

I had posted this in the 130pds topic but didnt get any response, hence posting here as this sort of issue must be faced by other scope users too.

I have acquired a 130PDS recently and need some advice. I use an ASI533 pro and 30mm guidescope+ASI120mini attached to it. As I setup and takedown the scope every night, I need a space-saving way to store the OTA with cameras attached. On my 130 Astromaster it stands up on its base but with the 130pds I find it impossible and that means I have to place it on the floor/carpet along its side making sure that it doesnt roll and cause the main camera to hit the floor.

How do others store their scope?

Have you thought about using any box, or case, or cupbard that is big enough to take the complete assembly.
Then buy a cheap dovetail clamp and fasten it to your box.
The scope is placed in the box, in the orientation you have chosen.
I used to do something similar with an 8" newt, EQ5, tripod, and accessories in a somewhat modified bookcase.
That saved it from getting knocked, and kept it fairly dust free.

HTH, David.

43 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Have you thought about using any box, or case, or cupbard that is big enough to take the complete assembly.
Then buy a cheap dovetail clamp and fasten it to your box.

Thats a great idea. Food for thought

I am still playing around with optimum position for camera vs guidescope. I like the idea of each being diametrically opposite each other to help balance the scope, but too scared to have camera hanging down.

I used to store my 130pds in a camping backpack which I could then store in a cupboard. Bit difficult finding one which can accommodate the 650mm of the type I had. Why not remove the camera? It's the safest way of storing and moving it about.

I am pretty fortunate in that we have room for a draper type shelving unit. The height of each shelf can be adjusted to suit, so at end of play I just take whichever telescope and plob it back on it's shelf complete with finders etc. Any sort of cupboard with adjustable shelves would work well as Carbon Brush said.