NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double Cluster double trouble

DaveS

Well, perhaps not...

This a two pane mosaic with the ODK rig. Planned 12 x 300 sec Red, Green, and 525 sec Blue on each pane, not all the subs made it into the finals stacks. After stacking the individual RGB stacks were combined and given a DDP, followed by Richardson-Lucy deconvolution. Care was taken to match each pane during the DDP.

The mosaic was created using the default values in the AstroArt mosaic tool.

Saved as a JPEG

C&C welcome, and probably needed.

715102669_FirstMosaic.thumb.jpg.df07a603832a4dfeb2101e7d9e787399.jpg

• Like 6

It's very crisp, but for constructive analysis I'd say you've retained red star colour but lost blue.  I also think your black point is rather low. These two issues may well be related because most of the star colour is to be had around their edges where they are not too bright to be burned to white. If you clip those edges you lose star colour. I'd try a re-stretch from linear while leaving the black point much higher to see what that did for star colour.

Olly

Edit. Blue stars are hotter (therefore brighter) at a given distance which is why it's easier to burn their colour to white than it is with cooler red stars.

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Olly, I think I will do another stretch from linear. I problem I've found is the background is not the same colour balance in the two panes. I'm not sure why, but it may be due to not having a balance in the number of subs, I was short of 4 blue subs in Chi Persei.

15 hours ago, DaveS said:

I think I will do another stretch from linear. I problem I've found is the background is not the same colour balance in the two panes. I'm not sure why, but it may be due to not having a balance in the number of subs, I was short of 4 blue subs in Chi Persei.

I like the image. I tried doing a quick background extraction in Siril and that helps get the balance between the 2 panes. So you might wish to try something similar

• Like 1