NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2175 a short attempt

Having finally got the computer in the shed working and all the software installed, still a few clichés to sort, i.e. APT and PHD2 don't want to seem to dither.

There haven't been too many clear nights and sort of torn between getting a few images, and sorting out various bits i.e. guiding plate solving, things you can't do in the daytime.

Equipment, Canon 40D SW 200P. APT

This is what I got frame stacking.

NGC_2175.thumb.jpg.b2e963d7c4bd5d386257c45f7c929fab.jpg

This is what I ended up with.

1675713503_NGC_2175denoisefin.thumb.jpg.40e82cfaae6d6bcb31b332ee32ab76ba.jpg

I know there is a lot wrong, but this was only from 17 60's subs, and no guiding, so stars are off a little, no coma corrector so a little stretched towards the edges, though the 40D has helped with the crop compared with the 6D

There is also a dark band showing down one edge, top in this image, and can be seen as excessive noise, but that was before I collimated and sorted the focus and USB hubs and cables needs, those two hubs need more than just sticky back velco.

However, to say it is nearly a year since I did anything bar a bit of planetary, the coma issue and not being able to get reasonable flats, I have also made a light cover for the mirror end and a light shield for the front, the flats being cured by a cheap LED A3 light panel, just point the scope to the zenith, which is a saved park position in eqmod, place the panel on the top and shoot, cost £20.

I guess better processing might improve it somewhat, but everything considered, I think it isn't a bad attempt at getting back into things.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, bottletopburly said:

Enable server in phd2 > think it’s in tools  for dithering to happen 

It is, it was auto enabled, but I will have another look, to be sure. There were some really weird things going on, the RA and dec lines just went right of the scale when trying to track, Tues/Wed having changed nothing PHD2 was tracking, albeit with a little wind turbulence. A few more clear ish nights should have it sorted.

I used to use BYE for camera control, but lost my log in details, I have tried getting in touch, well starting to get me head round APT now.

Thanks for the input.

I think that’s a pretty good image given it’s only 17 x 1 minute exposure,  plus the other issues.  NGC 2175 is a pretty faint target too.  It shows you’ll get better results once you get your guiding sorted out.  I was intrigued by what you meant by a “light cover for the mirror end”. I understand the light shield for the front. That’s how I do it by placing a t-shirt over the front end.

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I think that’s a pretty good image given it’s only 17 x 1 minute exposure,  plus the other issues.  NGC 2175 is a pretty faint target too.  It shows you’ll get better results once you get your guiding sorted out.  I was intrigued by what you meant by a “light cover for the mirror end”. I understand the light shield for the front. That’s how I do it by placing a t-shirt over the front end.

Thanks, I used Starnet to extract the nebula and extract from the image in pixinsight, so I could work on both separately, so I was able to hence the color of the stars without going to OTT and reduce noise in Topaz Denoise, but there was too much.

Regarding the tracking, it seems to be tracking fine now, this is a single 2 min sub of M103

1237099483_M10120scrop.jpg.9639d0c27fa3592c5b4f4491c5f0b967.jpg

But it won't dither (not that there is much chance to do more than a few frames at a time, of late), I think it has to do with some settings in APT, like wait time or time out.

I ran guiding assistant in PHD2, not sure if it helped, as it was tracking fine before, but hadn't imaged anything, so I can't compare.

On a plus note though, I had it running smoothly on remote desktop, I had to really think which screen was the remote computer.

• Like 1

@bottletopburlyIt might be the Auto Cancel Distance, I have everything on, as you have pointed out. I then just get a message saying dither cancelled or some such. I seem to have sorted the focuser connection out as well, well at least it didn't disconnect whilst it was connected to APT last night, and that was a change of cable from the supplied one.

There is also a slight issue when it plate solves sometimes, I think one or two of the database are corrupt, it says missing, and I have tried reinstalling. The thing is it gets close before it fails.

@bottletopburly

Hi, sorted, both issues, though still get the odd solve error, since I am shooting on DSLR my settings are slightly different for plate solving, GOTO attempts different as is pause after GOTO as well. I find I need about 8s at f5 and 3200iso, though this I think will vary depending on where in the sky, low SE to SW heavy LP, but as we have had new LED street lights fitted the overall bortle has drop from 7 to 6, it's the likes of the next warehouse with indiscriminate lightning that's causing it. I will attach a 📸 when I am on the 🖥 later.

This is virtual 360 degrees,

212100310_backyard180.thumb.jpg.7aa0f5cc3adf30a68337729f38f66813.jpg

The search light is virtually due south as viewed. The bright lights centre are Next and the industrial park around it, SW Barnsley, SE Doncaster. I am also plagued with a security lighthouse centre right of the semi, shines in the house, fortunately the garden fence just screens the scope.

Edited by Nicola Hannah Butterfield