Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Full frame Image sensor too large for 1.25" ?? fixes ?

picclock

I've just got a 6" sct and would like to use it with my EOS RP.  But the sensor size in the RP is  35.9 x 24 mm which means that only around half of the sensor area is useable.

I'd rfeally like a lens in an adapter, like an eyepiece for camera,  that I can fit to the camera to get the use of the full frame.

Do such things exist or are there alternative methods I could use.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Best Regards

picclock

C6 probably won't illuminate fully even APS-C.

There is nothing you can do about it - no magic attachment that will make it work.

If you want to illuminate full frame - then you need scope capable of doing that (not many scopes have fully illuminated and corrected full frame capability).

Can't disagree with Vlad 

19 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

but I have "messed around" using my Canon 6D with a GSO 6" and it definitely produces an image even at 1370 mm (no reducer):

1026195773_M13-L6D.thumb.png.676b886dad7165ab11551b62a8e39d3a.png

I know it's a pretty c**p image by the standards of others on this forum but an image it is - of M13.

Have a go! Who knows what you might produce?

:) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I have "messed around" using my Canon 6D with a GSO 6" and it definitely produces an image even at 1370 mm (no reducer):

Is that a crop?

If it's full sensor area - that is excellent. As far as I know 6" RC can use up to APS-C sized sensor or about 30mm of corrected circle?

5 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

As far as I know 6" RC can use up to APS-C sized sensor or about 30mm of corrected circle?

not from my experience using RC6 with ASI071 (APS-C size), which requires a flattener. Supplier recommended 4/3 sensor as max suitable for this scope (StellaLyra).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

not from my experience using RC6 with ASI071 (APS-C size), which requires a flattener. Supplier recommended 4/3 sensor as max suitable for this scope (StellaLyra).

So even APS-C requires flattner.

What's the illumination like? I guess it is pretty good at 28mm?

56 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Is that a crop?

This is the full frame before processing (STF screenshot)

1260943195_Screenshot2022-10-28at13_29_55.thumb.png.a31e093657f6ba1a49b74bdda62df7ca.png

Dismiss it - make of it what you will - but it never does any harm to stick it on the end of the scope and have a go - irrespective of what the numbers tell you.

It's all part of the hobby!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Can't disagree with Vlad 

but I have "messed around" using my Canon 6D with a GSO 6" and it definitely produces an image even at 1370 mm (no reducer):

1026195773_M13-L6D.thumb.png.676b886dad7165ab11551b62a8e39d3a.png

I know it's a pretty c**p image by the standards of others on this forum but an image it is - of M13.

Have a go! Who knows what you might produce?

:) 

This absolutely is not a poor M13. It's a very good one. Stars are resolved to the core, are in focus and are nicely distinguished by what looks like accurate colour. The Propeller shows beautifully. I demand that you apologise to yourself immediately! 

:grin:lly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This absolutely is not a poor M13. It's a very good one. Stars are resolved to the core, are in focus and are nicely distinguished by what looks like accurate colour. The Propeller shows beautifully. I demand that you apologise to yourself immediately! 

:grin:lly

Thank you Olly. This was just using the 6D to see what it would give. I went on to combine it with L from a ASI1600MM to produce a finished image hence the finished image being cropped.

1165305264_M13_L6D-v2x2.thumb.png.ef7945d89e573c82c95faadb78ef2941.png

To my eyes the combination of L from the ASI1600 and osc from the 6D worked okay together.

I've since properly collimated the RC so I need to have another go.

Thanks again.

Adrian

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

There is nothing you can do about it - no magic attachment that will make it work.

If you want to illuminate full frame - then you need scope capable of doing that (not many scopes have fully illuminated and corrected full frame capability).

I might be wrong, but as I've come to understand it, don't cassegraine telescopes find it much easier to cover larger sensors as the OTA primary diameter increases? Say a 6" RC can cover a 30mm APS-C circle acceptably, but using the same design and scaling it up to a 12" RC you could cover a full-frame sensor just as easily with the same illumination and field sharpness across the sensor?

I've noticed on scopes that actually list it in the sales page, that big ones (like the planewave DKs) can list very very larger sensor size coverage on the big scopes, and monster sized scopes like JWST have enough real estate in terms of field of view to have 10 sensors fit inside of that useful FOV (admittedly it is a whole different and more complex 3-mirror anastigmat but still)

4 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I might be wrong, but as I've come to understand it, don't cassegraine telescopes find it much easier to cover larger sensors as the OTA primary diameter increases? Say a 6" RC can cover a 30mm APS-C circle acceptably, but using the same design and scaling it up to a 12" RC you could cover a full-frame sensor just as easily with the same illumination and field sharpness across the sensor?

I've noticed on scopes that actually list it in the sales page, that big ones (like the planewave DKs) can list very very larger sensor size coverage on the big scopes, and monster sized scopes like JWST have enough real estate in terms of field of view to have 10 sensors fit inside of that useful FOV (admittedly it is a whole different and more complex 3-mirror anastigmat but still)

I think that you are quite right.

I think 12" RC and CDKs and above can illuminate full frame. There are also few other scopes that can - refractors with suitable corrector can (also larger ones).

• Like 1