Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ-GTi connecting but not moving (Solved)

osilvab

Hello,

I have had a Maksutov 127 with the AZ-GTi mount for about 3 years. I have done just few observations, 2-3 per year. Overall the experience was good. But last week I went on a trip and I brought my set-up to do some observations. To my surprise the mount didn't work.. We still managed to have a view of Jupiter and its moons in full manually mode :)

I have been reading forums and troubleshooting but so far no success with it. The Wi-Fi connection is working well. the red led indicator is showing normal operation but the mount doesn't rotate. not even using the step arrows. What I have tried:

- update firmware: updated successfully, without any issues.

- tried different devices (android and iOS) and different apps (Synscan and Synscan Pro)

It seems like the software side is working well but there is no connection to the engines. not sure what to do now., thinking about opening it and see if I can find something disconnected/broken but I wanted to ask before here if someone had the same issue before.  Has someone tried contacting SW directly for support?

Thanks for the help!

You could also try the synscan pro app via Windows, but it sounds like some sort of hardware issue if you've already fault investigated the obvious.

You could also try downgrading the firmware to the original to try.

Edited by Elp

@Knighty2112 yeah, everything is tightened.  There is no even a try to move, a sound or something happening inside. the only indicator I have is the red light double blinking, meaning the app is connected.

@Elp same behaviour with windows app.  I´m afraid it might be a hardware issue.

Edited by osilvab

Not sure what power your using for the mount, but have you made sure there is enough to power it fully? I know when I use battery power on my eq6 pro goto mount that if the power is below a certain level the mount still appears to be powered OK, but then stops working in up and down in declination. Don’t get any problems when I run in from mains power at all.

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Not sure what power your using for the mount, but have you made sure there is enough to power it fully? I know when I use battery power on my eq6 pro goto mount that if the power is below a certain level the mount still appears to be powered OK, but then stops working in up and down in declination. Don’t get any problems when I run in from mains power at all.

Actually, this is the first time Im using it since I move abroad and the current is different in my new country. According to the  adapter it should work here.  But I will check if it is giving the right current.  
I used to power ir with the celestron power tank, but It was confiscated during the trip and I lost it.  So i am using the original plug.

The manual says that input voltage is 7.5 - 14 V with at least 750 mA and recommended 12 V.

and there is a note saying that  if the power is too high, the motor controller will stop the motors automatically. 

The supplied AC adapted is rated for 15V and 500 mA. so it's not ideal. It might be the cause of the malfunction. Something to test.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osilvab said:

The manual says that input voltage is 7.5 - 14 V with at least 750 mA and recommended 12 V.

and there is a note saying that  if the power is too high, the motor controller will stop the motors automatically. 

The supplied AC adapted is rated for 15V and 500 mA. so it's not ideal. It might be the cause of the malfunction. Something to test.

Over volts protection on the mount sounds like it is kicking in then. 

9 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Is that the adapter that was supplied with the mount when you bought it? Seems odd that they specify the current to be max 0.75A, but then only supply one with max output of 0.5A?

Yes, it is the one supplied with the mount.

I just tried it with another adapter rated 12V 1500mA and it didnt move :(

I just found another adapter. 12 V - 5 A and it worked! So I think we can confirm that the problem is the power.  but then it seems 750 mA is not enough either. I dont have how to measure the current at home. The Celestron power tank that I used before is rated 12V 10 A. I will try to measure the current consumption of the mount and give feedback on that.

• osilvab changed the title to AZ-GTi connecting but not moving (Solved)