NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

saturn - I know its there somewhere

Ok, for the third time now I have tried to find Saturn. The skies last night were stunning, I am also sure that I identified Saturn which was adjacent to Regulus, but all I saw in the scope was a box standard star.

So can anyone help, either in identifiying how to find Saturn or explain why I am unable to see the rings of saturn on my Skywatcher.

Thanks in anticipation

Timmo

Try this out... It's a pretty tidy web-based planetarium.

Neave Planetarium ...the sky in your web browser

You need to look South-South-East ish, moderately high in the sky. Saturn is currently sitting underneath the constellation of Leo, below Chertan (which is closer to Saturn than Regulus).

You should really be able to pick out Saturn easily with the naked eye. It's very bright and has a bit of colour to it. I'd be surprised if you could not see the rings. Do bear in mind that the rings are side on at the moment though, so you might just see a line from either side of the planet. What size scope are you using?

My guess is you were looking at the wrong thing :rolleyes: I know I still have issues translating what I see with my naked eye and what the view finder shows me...

Best of luck! It's VERY well worth looking at ;)

Samtheeagle

Thanks for you reply. I am using a skywatcher 150pl. I think my problem is that the viewfinder is not aligned properly so when I come to view through the scope I cant recognise anything. That said I had no problem viewing the nebuli below Orion, hence the confusion.

cheers

I would also recommend Stellarium, an excellent free application!

Right then, same scope as me, and I can assure you that it's more than capable of giving you a lovely view of Saturn! I tend to start out with the 25mm to locate it, even with this you can see the rings, and then move on to the 10mm and Barlow etc.

Perhaps you need to work on your basic set up a little? To get the view finder and telescope aligned I actually use Saturn as I've always been able to find it easily :rolleyes: Perhaps there is a terrestrial object you can use instead? Like a telecoms tower with a light on a few miles away or similar? Use the viewfinder to get in the ball park, and then move to the telescope with the 25mm eyepiece. You might need to scan around a bit to locate the target at first, but once you do move it to the centre of the view. Then switch back to the viewfinder and adjust the screws to get the finder cross hairs on the target.

This should be better tuned now, so you can turn you attention back to Saturn ;)

OK, maybe it was the three pints of Guiness. Ill do as you say but I will probably use the moon to set the viewfinder, at least the moon gives me a fighting chance to recognise whats in the viewfinder.

I already have stellarium and its very good, it was even better when I worked out my house was facing SW and not S as I had originally thought. ahem.

Anyway thanks for the advice, watch out for my post on the first sighting of Saturn. by the way is the 150 any good for viewing galaxies?

To be honest I've only had my 150 for a month or so, so I've not had all that much chance to see things. Last night I had a stab at locating the triplet in Leo, I think I saw them, very dim grey smudges... But that's the extent of my efforts ;)

If you're going to use the moon for alignment I would suggest picking out a smaller crater, otherwise the alignment wont be very precise... Also if you're using the moon you need to be quick as it'll move from centre as you try to correct the finder!

I use Polaris. Find it easy- bright, pinpoint, easily recognized, and doesn't move (well not much, and not very quickly anyway). That's because I can't get a decent terrestial object thats far enough away. Failing that- the point of next door but one's T.V arial.

Your 150 should easily show you saturn and 4 of it's moons.

It is essential to have a aligned finder when using a dob as you cannot really sight along it's length like you can a refractor.

Get your finder and you will find Saturn pretty easy I'm sure.

Hey millarman, have you found Saturn yet ?

I know its hard to find things in the sky, I have great difficulty finding anything new in the sky, but I find its best to start with something you know. If you know where Orion is, which I'm sure you do, then look lower and to the east to find Sirius in canis major, its easy to find, its the star that really really twinkles. Once you find Sirius try to find the next bright star, Procyon in Canis minor, which is higher and more to the east than Sirius. After Procyon I would look for Regulus in Leo which is again to the East and I think will be about level, give or take a bit, in the sky as Procyon.

If you find Regulus you will surely find Saturn, it will be only slightly lower and a little to the east between Regulus and Denebola in Leo.

Saturn really is a sight to behold, so don't give up, and I know you get a glimpse of Saturn soon. I hope this helps a bit, but I am just a beginner too.

All the best

Chips

maybe this will help - when I started off for some reason I was always pointing my dob much too high - it might be something to do with refraction (??) or it might just be me but I always aim a fair bit lower than the target and that seems to hit it.

oh -and get your fiderscope aligned ;)

ps - you can see plent yof galaxies in a 6" newt -if you have dark skies; if you don't you won't see many in any scope

• 2 weeks later...

YEsssssssssssssssss found the damn thing. and, Errrr, the reason i could see it; Firstly I had correctly identified Saturn but my view finder was way out, even after iI had carefully aligned it. The reason, when i dismantled my scope I lay it out on the dining room table. The view finder was resting on the chair and most probably knocking it our of alignment. After realigning it I got sight of Saturn immediately.

It was as spectacular as the descriptions said it was.

The sky was very black but I suspect it was slightly misty. I have yet to get a true handle on my scope as trying to focus it whilst it is wobbling is not easy.

Any advice here would be appreciated. also with my Skywatcher am I likely to be able to see Saturn’s moons?

Thanks for all the advice here it is very much appreciated.

regards

Any advice here would be appreciated. also with my Skywatcher am I likely to be able to see Saturn’s moons?

I can make out 4 of Saturns moons on a good night with my 4 inch scope. They change position so the view varies night to night and even hour to hour in fact. I find this link useful in identifying which moon is which:

Saturn's Moons

Titan is the brightest and easiest to see. The others are fainter but can be spotted as tiny sparks of light by the patient observer.

John

Yes, I've certainly seen 4 of the moons... It does vary greatly upon the weather and your timing though, as already mentioned. On a bad night I've struggled to see any :)

On the focussing issue I decided to splash out on this: Misc’ - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser

It's quite expensive for what it is really, but it is VERY handy, so I guess it's worth it. I was having the same problem getting a good focus whilst wobbling the telescope about by using the focus wheel. This little gizmo means you don't have to touch the scope to focus, so no wobbles! :) It's also great for when I'm imaging too...

I got one one these SW motor focussers too. Had to make up a bracket to fit it on my SW 1145P (not really designed for it). Also added a resistor internally (100ohm in parallel with the 265ohm resistor) to slow down the minimum speed to almost a stop (was 10s for 1 rev, now 30s). It doesn't affect the max speed much. Works a treat now, with no tube vibration while focussing!

Archived