NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to use 'Skywatcher Universal Camera Adapter'

Leegsi

Set your camera to manual focus, or infinity if it is able, then mount it on the adapters base-plate set as far back from the eyepiece as it will go. Fit the 25mm eyepiece and focus it. Clamp the adapter to the eyepiece then using the adapters controls bring the camera lens in towards the eyepiece then adjust the eyepiece/camera focus until the screen shows that you have achieved focus (practice in daylight first).

The Nikon will be fine but the Fuji might struggle because of its size. Also, be careful as I think both cameras' lenses extend forward when you switch them on, you don't want the lens to collide with the eyepiece!

Lower magnification eyepieces around 30-40mm work best.

If you concentrate on photographing the Moon, with practice and some experimentation, you should achieve some nice results.

HTH

I don't think it has manual focus although it does have a 'mountain' setting which is probably it.

So once I get the camera in-line with the lens I slide the camera on the bracket or adjust the focus in and out with the scopes adjuster knob.

Or do I adjust the eye piece so its in focus then try and then fit the camera?

I have one of these adapters. Focus the telescope in the normal way with a fairly low mag eyepiece. Clamp the camera to the adapter, but move it well back so that the lens dosn't hit the eyepiece when it extends. Clamp the adapter/camera to the eyepiece. Note the extra weight of the adapter/camera will shift the telescope, so you may have to re-find the target.

Zoom the camera out so that the lens is fully extended. Loosen the camera screw and move the camera as close as possble to the eyepiece without touching it and re-tighten. Check it is straight and perpendicular to the eyepiece. Slew the telescope to something very bright (streetlamp, moon, etc) and centre the camera on the eyepiece using the adjustment screws. Clamp up when centered. Point the telescope at your target and use focus/zoom to get the frame you want. Manual exposure control is best.

Use the timer setting to take the photo so that you don't jog the photo when you press the shutter button. Better still, use a wired remote shutter or pc control if available. Experiment with different shutter speeds/aperture settings. ISO should be set to about 800, but you can try higher.

Archived