Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a difference a jet stream makes!

Eris

Having uploaded a few images from September and the Oct I thought it would be interesting to compare two images taken with the same equipment, same capture software, same settings and RGB filters but taken under very different conditions. 

The image taken on the 24th September was with the jet stream fully over the UK and all the jet stream forecast sites at the time were displaying it in a strong red colour.  The video capture shows the very fast high frequency turbulence present at the time and you can see that most details are blurred and only the larger features are obvious.

The image taken on the 10th October was the almost at the other end of the scale with the jet stream well to the east of the UK and we sat in a trough between two peaks of activity.  Conditions on this night were so different with just low frequency disturbance allowing the capture software to "grab" more stable frames then was possible on the 24th September.  The October images is one of the best I have taken over the years in regard to detail visible.

I know we all see the differences these nights can bring at the scope but I thought it interesting to show just what a difference the jet stream can make when imaging this wonderful planet.

All the best,

Rob  

J2022-09-24-23_50_RGB_rbu.jpg

J2022-10-10-22_59_RGB_rbu.jpg

• Like 8

An interesting comparison Rob and whilst I mostly agree about the detrimental effect the jetstream can have on seeing and hence planetary imaging, in my experience it's not always the case. See my thread and image from 14 October 2022.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geof,

Many thanks for your reply and your example image taken under that jet stream activity.  I, like Pete above, would generally give it a miss if the conditions were predicted to be bad unless it had been many weeks since my last observation when I would give it a try.  If I have been fortunate to have been out several times in a week I would likely take a "bad jet stream" night as a evening off. 

You do realise however I may not now be able to relax when conditions are predicted to be bad based on your image just in case I am missing something! :O)   

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Eris said:

Hi Geof,

Many thanks for your reply and your example image taken under that jet stream activity.  I, like Pete above, would generally give it a miss if the conditions were predicted to be bad unless it had been many weeks since my last observation when I would give it a try.  If I have been fortunate to have been out several times in a week I would likely take a "bad jet stream" night as a evening off. 

You do realise however I may not now be able to relax when conditions are predicted to be bad based on your image just in case I am missing something! :O)   

Yes, it does my head in when I decide not to bother when the Jetstream is active. The image that I got that night is my best from Jupiter's apparition this year, though I was somewhat late to the party due to other commitments. Having an observatory, does make it much easier for me to have a quick look just in case.....🤔