Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lanzarote

Pixies

HI,

Luckily we're al off to Playa Blanca in  Lanzarote for a week, next week! First holiday in 3 years, so really looking forward to it.

We've been in the past , but that was before I was seriously into astro. So may I ask whether anyone has any experience/recommendations for things to do (astronomy related). I'll take some binos but can't really take any scopes, so really looking for good places for binocular viewing, or whether there is a recommended public observatory? I've googled as best I can, but Lanzarote always appears to be a bit behind-the-times when it comes to the web presence of tourist attractions.

Cheers.

I have been to Lanzarote a few times in the past and hopefully going again this December. 

There is this place though I haven't been to it yet and isn't far from Playa Blanca. 

https://astronomialanzarote.com/

They used to do stargazing evenings and a meal before for a excursion before covid hit, struggling to find the site atm, if I find the link will post. 

I usually just head down to the beach in Matagorda where we stay and watch the planets and set up with my bins or dslr. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

December is the best time to go, webt in 2016, warm enough for swimming in the sea but hardly any people around, or at least not like I imagine it to be in summer. Mrs C and I stayed in Puerto del Carmen, I took my bins and did use them once. However, I was on holiday, including from astronomy 😲😃

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

December is the best time to go, webt in 2016, warm enough for swimming in the sea but hardly any people around, or at least not like I imagine it to be in summer. Mrs C and I stayed in Puerto del Carmen, I took my bins and did use them once. However, I was on holiday, including from astronomy 😲😃

I think this will be the 6th time we've been. It's nice and quiet in Matagorda, enough to do and not to bright with lights, nice to sit out and just gaze at the night sky with your eyes. Really nice to go to the airport side and get images of the places coming in too. Thoroughly recommend that if in Lanzarote. 

Lee 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

I think this will be the 6th time we've been. It's nice and quiet in Matagorda, enough to do and not to bright with lights, nice to sit out and just gaze at the night sky with your eyes. Really nice to go to the airport side and get images of the places coming in too. Thoroughly recommend that if in Lanzarote. 

Lee 

Sounds fantastic

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

Sounds fantastic

It's pure bliss Laurence. Facing south on the beach there's nowt but ocean, you can just watch the planets drift past or watch the moon a low horizon to see constellations you don't see in UK. I'll have to find my dslr images of the aircraft overhead it's pretty spectacular too. 

Lee 

IMG_20211114_182613.jpg

IMG_20211114_184749.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

Beautiful images Lee, meanwhile I'm at Center Parcs with grandchildren 🤣, not quite the same thing!

Lanzarote certainly should be on my list to visit.

On the plus side, I did bring a scope and had good views of the moon this morning.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Beautiful images Lee, meanwhile I'm at Center Parcs with grandchildren 🤣, not quite the same thing!

Lanzarote certainly should be on my list to visit.

On the plus side, I did bring a scope and had good views of the moon this morning.

No but like you say you brought the scope with you, that's the priority 😉

• Like 1