Oct 2nd Jupiter IO Moon shadow animation

neil phillips

Might have a couple more I can add on to this. But i kept it with the captures that were quite sharp. 4 6-minute video de rotation captures. 280.000 frames captured on the 4 captures. Around 51.000 frames stacked into the animation

Gif 

Plus high quality windows player download. 

2022-10-02-2242_5-DeRot_pipp_jupiter_lapl8_ap34_pipp.gif

2022-10-02-2242_5-DeRot_pipp_jupiter_lapl8_ap34_pipp.zip

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Kon said:

That looks fantastic. (more of an observation: Io had a nice yellow colour in the high resolution image you posted a couple of days ago, why do you think it's lost here?)

Because I used less saturation Kon more basic processing to keep things simple. Sometimes I see beauty in not over processing data. Mostly for animations mind. As its easier. In other words i could do even better if i took longer. Still like the more raw look though. Sometimes i think the image looks better in registax. Before a whole suit of processing is done on it. Its just different neither is wrong or right. You also dont get the false colour. A different set of gains and losses. All data is saved maybe one day i will try different processing. Gif will also loose colour information

Below is a quick work around with more saturation with a higher quality AVI. Its the same adjustment you can see the Giff loses more colour information

cheers

2022-10-02-2242_5-DeRot_pipp_jupiter_lapl8_ap34_pipp_F1-4.ser sat_pipp.zip

2022-10-02-2242_5-DeRot_pipp_jupiter_lapl8_ap34_pipp_F1-4.ser sat_pipp.gif

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 3

NIce job Neil, I just finished processing mine from the same time, and thought I had something going wrong with Io as it almost looks like a double image while the shadow was nice and round, but now see yours looks the same. I dont image planets as often as you do so  not sure if its normal, but looks the same in both of our captures so I guess it must just be the way its being illuminated? 

Your image looks a bit sharper than mine, so dont think my local seeing was very good that night. come to think of it I often notice that my first capture is much better than the rest of the session, do you ever get that? my scope lives in the dome so should be at equilibrium.

Just about to post mine so you can take a look,

Lee

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Because I used less saturation Kon more basic processing to keep things simple. Sometimes I see beauty in not over processing data. Mostly for animations mind. As its easier. In other words i could do even better if i took longer. Still like the more raw look though. Sometimes i think the image looks better in registax. Before a whole suit of processing is done on it. Its just different neither is wrong or right. You also dont get the false colour. A different set of gains and losses. All data is saved maybe one day i will try different processing. Gif will also loose colour information

Below is a quick work around with more saturation with a higher quality AVI. Its the same adjustment you can see the Giff loses more colour information

cheers

2022-10-02-2242_5-DeRot_pipp_jupiter_lapl8_ap34_pipp_F1-4.ser sat_pipp.zip 18.27 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks for the explanation. Increasing your saturation has made it a lot more vibrant overall (in a good way).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magnum said:

NIce job Neil, I just finished processing mine from the same time, and thought I had something going wrong with Io as it almost looks like a double image while the shadow was nice and round, but now see yours looks the same. I dont image planets as often as you do so  not sure if its normal, but looks the same in both of our captures so I guess it must just be the way its being illuminated? 

Your image looks a bit sharper than mine, so dont think my local seeing was very good that night. come to think of it I often notice that my first capture is much better than the rest of the session, do you ever get that? my scope lives in the dome so should be at equilibrium.

Just about to post mine so you can take a look,

Lee

Nice one Lee I wondered if you had got out. Your not the only one wondering if the dark poles are normal on the disk. Others asked me too. It's perfectly normal. I have had the first capture come out best. A couple of causes from nailing focus better early on. To seeing worsening later.  But mostly it gets better later until its right over a house roof. Anyway, going to keep a eye out for your capture with the big Meade. Should be good. Update i may get a new Stella lyra 12" dob at some point ether dob tracking sometime later, or a bigger mount. it's getting the bucks together and availability is all. But i want a bigger Newtonian again

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Nice one Lee I wondered if you had got out. Your not the only one wondering if the dark poles are normal on the disk. Others asked me too. It's perfectly normal. I have had the first capture come out best. A couple of causes from nailing focus better early on. To seeing worsening later.  But mostly it gets better later until its right over a house roof. Anyway, going to keep a eye out for your capture with the big Meade. Should be good. Update i may get a new Stella lyra 12" dob at some point ether dob tracking sometime later, or a bigger mount. it's getting the bucks together and availability is all. But i want a bigger Newtonian again

Thanks Neil, and thats good to know that Io looks normal, I almost re stacked it until I saw yours was similar.

Regarding the 12" dob, I actually used to have one but trying to image with it was too much hard work for me without tracking. though one of the GOTO dobs might be a good choice, As I used to have my 12" LX200 in the Alt Az mode and and it tracked fine for the planets, ive only put it on a wedge as a friend gave me his super solid home made one. Though I keep thinking I might go back to Alt Az mode to make using an ADC easier ( ie only have to set it to the horizon once instead of constantly rotating it through the night ).

Lee

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Nice one Lee I wondered if you had got out. Your not the only one wondering if the dark poles are normal on the disk. Others asked me too. It's perfectly normal. 

looking on sky safari, IO is indeed much darker at the poles especially the north so I think your explanation is spot on, we were only capturing the equatorial region of the moon the rest was lost due to being similar contrast as the planet.

542197FE-09F4-43B8-832F-9F3F1D8FEAE6.png

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Magnum said:

looking on sky safari, IO is indeed much darker at the poles especially the north so I think your explanation is spot on, we were only capturing the equatorial region of the moon the rest was lost due to being similar contrast as the planet.

51 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Yes it makes sense doesn't it.  It is indeed a contrast effect

14 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Might have a couple more I can add on to this. But i kept it with the captures that were quite sharp. 4 6-minute video de rotation captures. 280.000 frames captured on the 4 captures. Around 51.000 frames stacked into the animation

Gif 

Plus high quality windows player download. 

2022-10-02-2242_5-DeRot_pipp_jupiter_lapl8_ap34_pipp.gif

2022-10-02-2242_5-DeRot_pipp_jupiter_lapl8_ap34_pipp.zip 17.77 MB · 7 downloads

Fabulous work Neil, excellent detail, but smooth as silk.

7 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Thanks Geoff even slightly calmer conditions can result in better captures. What we need is another perfect night soon. Fingers crossed

Ain't that the truth, I tried again last night as it was clear as a bell here, but the seeing was terrible. I stuck at it for about 2 hours, but got nothing usable so shut down. I hate nights like that, I would have been better shooting some DSO but Blobby was bright, so no good for LRGB and I don't have my NB filters in the QSI583wsg-5 camera currently. Did you have any success?

4 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Ain't that the truth, I tried again last night as it was clear as a bell here, but the seeing was terrible. I stuck at it for about 2 hours, but got nothing usable so shut down. I hate nights like that, I would have been better shooting some DSO but Blobby was bright, so no good for LRGB and I don't have my NB filters in the QSI583wsg-5 camera currently. Did you have any success?

Saw the jet stream forecast. Decided to give it a miss. Will be watching next few days. looks variable. But wind is a problem here with a long see saw of a scope on a EQ5 mount not exactly stable as they come. If i get any indication things improve will message. we should use a alert system or something? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Saw the jet stream forecast. Decided to give it a miss. Will be watching next few days. looks variable. But wind is a problem here with a long see saw of a scope on a EQ5 mount not exactly stable as they come. If i get any indication things improve will message. we should use a alert system or something? 

Yes, it was windy last night which definely adds to the challenge. I saw where the jetsteam was, but that's not 100% reliable forecast for seeing. It's more about whether the airflow is laminar or turbulent, so the edge of the jetsteam is probably always a no, but I've previously had good seeing under a fast jetsream. My mentor, Dave Tyler, told me the only way you'll know is to get out there.....🙄🤔

22 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Yes, it was windy last night which definely adds to the challenge. I saw where the jetsteam was, but that's not 100% reliable forecast for seeing. It's more about whether the airflow is laminar or turbulent, so the edge of the jetsteam is probably always a no, but I've previously had good seeing under a fast jetsream. My mentor, Dave Tyler, told me the only way you'll know is to get out there.....🙄🤔

That is true Geof as I've seen it myself. There has been discussion about it from time to time from me and others. I have had bad seeing when fast Jetstream is forecast, but also sometimes it has been inaccurate. Probably because of the type of Jetstream as you say. Certainly, enough to take Daves advice. I also woke up late which influenced not setting up. But fast jetstream forecast does put me off I have to admit. Despite the variability

• Like 1