Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Night Vision Astronomy - How To Start

Hi,

I was wondering if someone might give me some pointers on how to get in to NV?

I gather the PVS-14 is very popular.  Where do you find them?  I've never seen one come up for sale on the classifieds, or on astrobuysell etc.  I guess people don't want to let them go!

I was wondering if using analogue NV is a little like looking at a bright CRT screen? 

If you use NV, is it now the only way you want to observe?

Thanks for any advice!

You can get secondhand, but you need to know where to look. @GavStar is the person to talk to about availability and best advice on scopes, adapters and filters. It’s best for hydrogen nebulae and seeing lots of stars under city stars. It’s another observing tool, depends what you want to observe. Being able to make your own stuff is good, but you can get most bits you’ll need from the right places.

Peter

If you want to see some pictures, joining the Meta group "Night vision astronomy" would be a good place to ask questions.

Ray on CN maintains a best of NV post, see https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/653842-best-of-nv/ for useful information.

On 04/10/2022 at 08:54, tombardier said:

was wondering if using analogue NV is a little like looking at a bright CRT screen? 

I would describe looking through a NVD more like viewing thru a monochrome glass EP. Amazing number of different shared of grey. I do miss a pure glass solution so usually mount two scopes side by side.

As far as does it make it easier, think of observing with an NVD as having a dark site in your back yard, main function is contrast booster. An NVD works even better at a dark site.

You still need to use averted vision for example.

A lot of the NVD observers in the States have years of visual observation, but now they use NVD as it allows H alpha observation which is really only possible using a NVD device and H-alpha filter.

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/10/2022 at 09:57, tombardier said:

No, do not expect anything good from this tube. 

Hello. :)

Tombardier, according your questioning, it may be possible to see two specific aspects and manner to proceed:

(1) If you wish an optimal results, with awesome views through your scope, with the "wahouu" effect, indeed, try to look after the highest ranking tube you can afford.

It would mean that the best option would be to be patient and spare as much as you can for obtaining the "Holy Grail" tube, with the best specs according the now-day standards.

In Europa, at least OVNI Night Vision would be a solid provider in this sense, definitively. In United States you will find also good bunch of dealers (take a look on CN forum). In Asia, take a look to a company like Hamamatsu (JP) for instance......

(2) If you are, and you know that you will be anyway, limited by your budget on a long term, and you wish anyway to plunge, as fast as possible, in the night vision adventure, than try to find the "less bad" tube you can afford. And apparently you are capable to do some machining, which would allow you to save more budget on the tube purchase.

On one hand: In this second option, practicing a DIY manner would bring a lot of good teaching for you. But indeed at a cost of a potential limited performances, it will be unavoidable.

On the other hand: even if you buy a sub-optimal tube, try to enjoy it, because even with modest specs, it will bring some enhancement in term of sensitivity for your astro or terrestrial activities.

Shortly said, even a worn old gen 2/3 tube bringing only remaining "few hundred of uA/lm" compared to the original PC response, would be sufficiently potent for enjoying some astro/terrestrial NV. Especially if you build from scratch your own system. Just the "whaouu" effect will be, indeed, more humble/modest.

Do not forget that "NV" astro was initially practiced by pro astronomers since decades (even starting from the first half of XXth century: Lallemand camera) with using PC materials having incomparably lower photo electron emissiivity capabilities (few dozen of uA/lm...) relatively to what can provide even a old "modern" second hand gen 2/3 tube...

Shortly said :D .... Just keep in mind that, by buying a second hand tube, you will not reach the perfs given by the tubes involved in the option (1), that it..... But, if you follow this path, try to enjoy anyway what you will have between your hands, and to focus on the learning process....

Also, try to question as much as you can the potential seller and to check if there is, at least, no "hidden defect" ;)

Good luck for your project and your quest.

Lambda

Edited by Lambda1974

Secondhand gen3 are an option, you may not get gain control and the sensitivity will be lower, but they’ll still take filtration for nebulae and show a lot. You’ll get loads of stars with a long pass filter from under light pollution as well. 

Peter

• Like 1