NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moving a dob around

mdstuart

How do others move the dob around? Do other just hold the handles attaching the tube to the mount and hold the other end with a hand and then nudge it?, I have seen a handle on some tubes and one attached underneath the secondry mirror end of the tube, any ideas would be appreciated...

I think I am going to buy and handle and attach it.

By the way saw my 100th galaxy last night....;)

Mark

I usually have one hand on one of the handles (left) and the other on the tube and just nudge it around as required. I often nudge it too far and have to refind what I was looking at so maybe my technique needs some work. ;)

Congratulations on seeing your 100th galaxy:hello2:. Think it'll be a good while before I reach that milestone myself.

I mounted a handle under the focuser and another larger handle on the top of the tube for carrying purposes. The handles were supplied from WDS in Leeds. A couple of holes had to be drilled in the tube for each handle but as the 'scope was in bits at the time it was no biggie.

The only subsequent problem was when I got a dew shield and had to cut a small slot in the dewshield edge so it would fit around and over the handle under the focuser. Obviously I wasn't planning on a dew shield at the time otherwise I would have mounted it in a different position ie. slightly further away from the tube end.

My first dob was an Orion SkyQuest 8" that had no handles - I moved it by simply holding the upper rim of the tube. The base motion was smooth enough that I could operate it with one hand. I now use a SkyWatcher 12" which has knobs on the tube and protruding handles on the base, and I find myself using both when steering this heavier scope around.

The Orion was attached to the base by springs that controlled tension and balance during use. So the entire assembly, base and scope, could be carried with one hand using a carry handle on the base. The SkyWatcher 12" is too heavy to be carried in one piece. I like the larger aperture but miss the portability.

Andrew

I must admit I just sorta 'grab' the end of the tube and pull/push. I only use the handles on the base for lifting and tension adjustment. Sounds quite crude!

regards,

Alex

Archived