Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with processing - AGAIN!!!!

beamer3.6m

I once again call for help (like Gotham calling for Batman) with the processing of this image.

It is the veil nebula taken with my new Samyang 135 (first light with the lens) with my unmodded 1100d

180s lights x 55

30 flats

60 Biases

Initial process in Siril attached as a Tiff.

Veil 2.tif

My processing is attached here:

310903688_Veil2.thumb.png.8d5b3e96ef92890b85800c629c430540.png

Edited by beamer3.6m

The standard DSLR is fitted with a filter which blocks most of the Ha signal you're trying to capture on this target. You're getting some of the OIII signal through but the only real way to resolve it is a camera without the offending filter.

Your normal DSLR is okay for reflection or dark nebula regions and galaxies but with SY135 you'll get so much more with an astro modified or full spectrum camera and it will allow you to use a Duel-Band filter to highlight even more Ha & OIII signal.

Who said this hobby was cheap or easy? 🤣

3 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

The standard DSLR is fitted with a filter which blocks most of the Ha signal you're trying to capture on this target. You're getting some of the OIII signal through but the only real way to resolve it is a camera without the offending filter.

Your normal DSLR is okay for reflection or dark nebula regions and galaxies but with SY135 you'll get so much more with an astro modified or full spectrum camera and it will allow you to use a Duel-Band filter to highlight even more Ha & OIII signal.

Who said this hobby was cheap or easy? 🤣

Agreed.

I'm on the lookout for an asi533 colour camera. Hopefully one will pop up in the for sale sectiob

• Like 1

Yeah you are fighting an uphill battle especially without a filter to help boost the contrast. See my efforts below. Very tricky to be honest.

Veil_2-lpc-cbg-Starless.thumb.png.ee37e459181d67acdb647c80b6da8713.png

StarNet output

Veil_2-lpc-cbg-Stars.thumb.png.6e0d79d3a869a7695b459ab08051655b.png

Stars in one way

Veil_2-lpc-cbg-Stars1.thumb.png.458f4fe9b5b5e7c7a051347706a7d181.png

Stars back in another way.

Edited by geeks

I appreciate the effort...

I tried using starnett++ (or whatever it is called) so I could try and just bring out the nebula but I got lost with how to then put the stars back into the image in photoshop.

I really need to learn some processing skills!!!!!!!

I had a go at the file using PixInsight and came up with this.

You can just see Pickering's Triangle starting to show and there is a tiny bit of Ha in there. I did have to go OTT with the Curves to bring it out but with more data it should get better.

814092862_Veil2.png.ae1555d123495a92631ca2407dcf04a4.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

I had a go at the file using PixInsight and came up with this.

You can just see Pickering's Triangle starting to show and there is a tiny bit of Ha in there. I did have to go OTT with the Curves to bring it out but with more data it should get better.

That looks very good to my eyes.

Thank you, I appreciate the effort.

I always think that part of the trouble with processing is that, until you get enough experience under your belt, you just don't know what can be achieved from any given image so you never know when to stop or if going any further will just do nothing, or worse take the image backwards.

I can only agree with the others. The good news for camera lens imagers, though, is that star removal tools like StarXterminator or Starnet++ allow you to push the object very hard and then replace thestars with ones pushed far less hard.

778580895_VeilProcJPEG.thumb.jpg.d3024a743fcd17945d24254d17b3cef3.jpg

19 minutes ago, beamer3.6m said:

I always think that part of the trouble with processing is that, until you get enough experience under your belt, you just don't know what can be achieved from any given image so you never know when to stop or if going any further will just do nothing, or worse take the image backwards.

Make regular use of 'Save As' during the processing. I just use the suffix P1 then P2, etc, meaning 'Processing 1' and so on. That way I can always go back. Also use Layers if you can so you can process a top layer and blink it off and on to see whether it's better or worse.

Also look at lots of good images and think about why you like them. Train your eye to observe keenly. I really think this is important.

Olly

• Like 3

18 hours ago, beamer3.6m said:

unmodded 1100d

Congratulations and well done for having a go with a humble unmodified  DSLR. They really are good cameras.

Lovely wide shot of a nebula and star field. So much interest and texture is lost by removing the latter.
Cheers 

1555345641_Veil2a.thumb.jpg.cca95c092a0283165e2d4b8b27403606.jpg

Edited by alacant
ortografía - spell
  • Like 1