Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pixinsight + NAS

Anthonyexmouth

Am I right in thinking, if my working folder is on my desktop but the initial subs are on the NAS the only time it'll need the NAS files is the initial loading, after that they are saved locally?

Since installing my pierside mini PC a month or so ago I've been dragging them across in the morning from the pier, but want to now have NINA save directly to the NAS so at the end of the session it can shut the pier off. 

If you have Synology NAS - You could use Cloud Station to synchronize between your miniPC and NAS, and let NINA copy the file on the miniPC
At least it is more robust, as if there any issue on the connection between your miniPc and the NAS you will not lost your image. I guess it is a wifi connection so more prone to error.

11 minutes ago, cbrunfranc said:

If you have Synology NAS - You could use Cloud Station to synchronize between your miniPC and NAS, and let NINA copy the file on the miniPC
At least it is more robust, as if there any issue on the connection between your miniPc and the NAS you will not lost your image. I guess it is a wifi connection so more prone to error.

No, it's all wired. I ran cat6 undergound to the pier with the 240v and 12v when I built it. I'm just wondering about any speed penalty for processing. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

What "File Services" are enabled on the NAS e.g. SMB NFS ??   With either enabled, you should then be able to save all captured images directly to the NAS 

Saving to the NAS isn't really my concern. I was just wondering what kinda speed penalty I will get with PI if I leave the subs on the NAS for processing but setup my working folder on the processing PC. 

I'm hoping its just the initial fetch of the files that are then saved with the processing steps onto the PC. 

6 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

There will always be speed penalties with Pi's as their built-in micro_sd storage, is slower than ssd, emmc devices as used in RockPro64's etc, (which is what I use) 

PI =pixinsight not raspberry pi. 

I've got a MELE quieter3 on the pier, been saving to it's nvme drive and in the morning dragging the subs over to my processing pc. What I am going to start doing is saving to my NAS so at the end of the session all power to my pier can shut down. Then in the morning my subs are on the NAS. I was wondering if I should first drag them from NAS to PC or will the first operation in WBPP start saving everything to my working folder which is set up on my processing PC, so therefore only having to access the NAS files once. 

7 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

With that plugin, where does it sit in the process? 

Once you've configured it (on the plugin page) you have a Robocopy Start and a Robocopy Stop in the sequence. Also the start command specifies the location to copy to.

I just put the start in the startup section and the stop in the end section but I put a 2 minute wait before the stop to allow any file copy to finish

Edited by scotty38

I've tried to process images in PI from an external HDD USB3 and the proccess was really slow. I've realized that's better to copy them to the iMac SSD and delete them once the processing's finished. Never tried from my NAS since I believe it'll be worse.

1 minute ago, barbulo said:

I've tried to process images in PI from an external HDD USB3 and the proccess was really slow. I've realized that's better to copy them to the iMac SSD and delete them once the processing's finished. Never tried from my NAS since I believe it'll be worse.

Where did you set your output/working folder? Was that on the external drive? 

25 minutes ago, barbulo said:

I think it was in the SSD but I'm not sure. But even doing so, just reading 300+ files from any external device is going to slow down the process a lot.

If it only has to copy them once it doesn't really make as difference if I do it or wbpp does it. That's what I'm thinking. Also means I don't have to then waste space on my nvme if I forget to delete the originals

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/09/2022 at 18:17, Anthonyexmouth said:

Am I right in thinking, if my working folder is on my desktop but the initial subs are on the NAS the only time it'll need the NAS files is the initial loading, after that they are saved locally?

Since installing my pierside mini PC a month or so ago I've been dragging them across in the morning from the pier, but want to now have NINA save directly to the NAS so at the end of the session it can shut the pier off. 

I have a processing PC and a NAS. Files are stored on the NAS. I copy them to the processing PC and go from there. After everything is done, I delete the files on the processing PC. It works well because between the NAS and processing PC  I have a 10 Gbit connection. So I copy/paste at 1 GB/sec transfer speed

14 hours ago, dan_adi said:

I have a processing PC and a NAS. Files are stored on the NAS. I copy them to the processing PC and go from there. After everything is done, I delete the files on the processing PC. It works well because between the NAS and processing PC  I have a 10 Gbit connection. So I copy/paste at 1 GB/sec transfer speed

I've not bothered copying over first. I just point wbpp to the subs and set a working folder on my PC. WBPP does all the initial copying and then works on the files locally.