Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 with Pixel 4a

Kon

After my visual observation of Orion (M42) over the weekend (24/9/22), I snapped a few frames for the ongoing mobile competition. I thought I will add it here as well, for the record. 8" Dob, manual, Pixel 4a (using Night Sight; iso 2000, exposure 1s), 32mm Celestron Plossl. Siril for stacking 20 frames and Gimp for editing.

image.png.788c638956aa263125615ee6ef2fe3c1.png

• Like 14

Great image - I’ve been impressed with how good the Google Pixel image sensors perform looking through the mobile imaging competition thread. That Astro mode is pretty good and beats my iPhone 12 in sensitivity! Will be interesting to see how the iPhone 14’s perform once out in the wild. The future is bright for mobile astro imaging 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astro_Dad said:

Great image - I’ve been impressed with how good the Google Pixel image sensors perform looking through the mobile imaging competition thread. That Astro mode is pretty good and beats my iPhone 12 in sensitivity! Will be interesting to see how the iPhone 14’s perform once out in the wild. The future is bright for mobile astro imaging 👍

Thanks. I feel with more effort it can give my DSLR a run for its money.

This is not the astrophotography mode but night sight. I think it raises the iso and exposure to 1s. The AP mode is 4min long stacks and I get field rotation; I think 1 min per image. On goto or eq platform it should be awesome. You are right that the competition section really shows the capabilities of mobile cameras.

• Like 1