NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Diagonals

PatG

Hi Folks

Slightly off topic but interested in peoples recommendations on best 2” diagonals for visual use.

Currently have a 2” William Optics Durabright, which has served me well for many years but looking for a second diagonal and considering the Baader Planetarium Clicklock. 

Interested to hear if anyone has experience as to how these two diagonals compare. 

Pat 

The WO has a fairly restricted aperture due to a 'ledge' in the eyepiece holder. I have two diagonals, neither of which have this problem and are both excellent in terms of image and build quality.

Revelation 2" Dielectric Quartz  - great value for money. I've used this for many years and it's never disappointed.
1631240002_DSC_0206_DxO1200.jpg.526a9e06ced2a831b510450a65d71c6c.jpg

Baader clicklock, purchased to replace the above. Expensive, but fabulous.
1098575908_DSC_0345_DxO1024.jpg.609dc8c1d582fb9d6fc27d1188e1ce7c.jpg

• Like 2

All the Chinese dielectrics (like your WO unit) are of similar (and very good) quality. However, if you want the best, then they are a) Baader BBHS mirror or b) Baader Zeiss prism, which will produce slightly brighter and sharper views than the Chinese dielectrics - in my F/7 and F/7.5 refractors they give equally pleasing results, though the BBHS mirror is supposedly preferred for faster scopes below F/7, and the prism for F/7 and above. See the William Pasolini reviews for more info. If you want the 2” versions however, they ain’t cheap. I just have the more affordable T2 versions which I then use with 2” (as in pic) or 1.25” clicklocks. 
The array of Baader diagonals is confusing for the uninitiated . There’s also the very nice white mirror 2” pictured above by Mr Spock, and standard mirrors and prisms. And amici versions. 

72A50B65-41D9-4F30-BBE7-4420FDB96359.jpeg

• Like 1

I'll add my vote for the Baader ClickLock mirror diagonal. As well as being high quality, it has a modular construction and can be configured in different ways so for example, if you were bothered by field curvature visible at low magnifications, you could take the nosepiece off the diagonal and fit a field flattener like the TSFLAT2 in its place by using a suitable M48 to SCT thread adapter.

I have the Baader 2" Zeiss prism diagonal. It is a very good diagonal, very good in long focus refractors. It's also I big chunk of glass, and if you use a relatively short telescope on an AZ type mount , be sure to make engage the clutches, as you don't want it hitting a tripod leg or the ground.