Trevorw

Target : NGC4594 M104 Sombrero Galaxy

Camera: Canon 350d modified

Exposure Capture: DSLR Capture

Scope: Stellarvue 80ED f/7 with 2x Barlow

Mount: EQ6 Pro

Exposure Setting: Prime focus, ISO800 ICNR off Daylight WB

Exposures: 10 x 480 second, 15 x 90 seconds total 1hr 42.5m collected 27/3/09

Seeing: Average to poor, high humidity warm night.

Guiding: Orion Starshoot Autoguider using PHD, 10x60 SV Guide Scope

Focus: DSLR Focus

Stacking: 26 frames stacked in DSS, 5 corresponding dark 480s frames, 8 corresponding 90s darks, plus flats which took nearly 1 hour to stack. RGB Balance and 10% saturation applied in DSS . Processing in Photoshop CS3, levels, curves, color and contrast. Used Noel Carboni’s PS actions to enhance DSO and star color, light pollution removal.

I dedicate this image to my mother who passed away this week aged 90, may she rest in peace.

Information: Situated in Virgo

RA 12:40 (h:m) DEC-11:37 (deg:m) Distance 50000 (kly) Visual Brightness 8.0 (mag) Apparent Dimension 9x4 (arc min) Discovered by Pierre Méchain in 1781. Messier 104 (M104, NGC 4594) is numerically the first object of the catalog which was not included in Messier's originally published catalog. However, Charles Messier added it by hand to his personal copy on May 11, 1781, and described it as a "very faint nebula." It was Camille Flammarion who found that its position coincided with Herschel's H I.43, which is the Sombrero Galaxy (NGC 4594), and added it to the official Messier list in 1921. This object is also mentioned by Pierre Méchain as his discovery in his letter of May 6, 1783. William Herschel found this object independently on May 9, 1784.

This brilliant galaxy was named the Sombrero Galaxy because of its appearance. According to de Vaucouleurs, we view it from just 6 degrees south of its equatorial plane, which is outlined by a rather thick dark rim of obscuring dust. This dust lane was probably the first discovered, by William Herschel in his great reflector. This galaxy is of type Sa-Sb, with both a big bright core, and as one can see in shorter exposures, also well-defined spiral arms. It also has an unusually pronounced bulge with an extended and richly populated globular cluster system - several hundred can be counted in long exposures from big telescopes.

post-16015-13387736283_thumb.jpg

My condolences to you over your mothers passing Trevor. A very sad time for you.

Congratulations on a fine Sombrero capture though, and Rog s correct, your Mum would have been delighted with this.

Two Warners hey, I sense a rivalry may develop:D

Ron.:)

A nice capture indeed from under those WA skies Trevor.

My condolences on the loss of you Mum. Have been through that one with both parents, so know exactly where you are at.

Leave some of those DSO's for me, for when I get back over again, later this year. ;)

Dave

Archived