Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Full Spectrum Conversion Filters

SkyDweller

Hello guys,

until now I've used my stock D5100 for Deep Sky- and Milky Way Astrophotography. Because this isn't my primary hobby i wanted to keep cost as low as possible and therefore bought a second, used D5100 with no accessories at all for just 65€, as a backup if something goes wrong with the conversion. I then deinstalled both LPF Filters on it and it is working fine as far as I'm concerned. For now I'm only planning on using it with my reflector telescope although I'd need a non-rainy night for that ;) 

My question now is which filter should I get if I'm planning to use it for Milkyway photography with a regular lens to regain infinity focus? My best guess would be putting a UV/IR cut filter in the place of the LPF but these are double the price of my camera itself, from Astronomik atleast. And I would have to cut the filter to the correct size myself aswell.

One thing I'm not sure about is if Clip-In Filters retain the focus if they are the same thickness as the removed LPF's. Would these be a good option or do you know any better?

Appreciate your help,
Elian

It maybe that once the filters were removed during modding, the actual sensor should of been shimmed at same time in order to retain infinity focus with a standard lens. Removing  the filters may have shifted the point light reaches focus when hitting the sensor. Sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will comment and explain it better.