Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reducer placement and distance from sensor

I've brought this: Astro Essentials 0.5x 1.25" Focal Reducer | First Light Optics to use with my Altair 174m, Quark and Bresser 102 scope. The camera currently has a tilt adaptor attached. My  question is about where to place the reducer amongst the equipment, I know it has to go before the quark but in front or behind the tilt adaptor ? and there's no info on recommended distance from the cameras sensor!?

I think I'm managing to find the answers, from what I've read the reducer needs to be at a distance from the sensor of between 50-55mm and so I will need to minus the length of the tilt adapter off that distance as well as the 12.5 sensor to flange and fill the rest with a spacer/extension tube. The issue is I can't for the life of me find any 1.25" spacers! 

I had one of those a while back and found it needed much less than 50mm to get close to the stated reduction factor- something nearer 35mm if my memory is correct.

I think the spacing should be about half the focal length of the reducer- if you project the image of a distant scene onto a wall or card you should be able to get a reasonable idea of the FL and hence the required spacing.

I used a couple of screw in eyepiece filters (with the filters removed) screwed in to the end of the camera nosepiece. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, catburglar said:

I had one of those a while back and found it needed much less than 50mm to get close to the stated reduction factor- something nearer 35mm if my memory is correct.

I think the spacing should be about half the focal length of the reducer- if you project the image of a distant scene onto a wall or card you should be able to get a reasonable idea of the FL and hence the required spacing.

I used a couple of screw in eyepiece filters (with the filters removed) screwed in to the end of the camera nosepiece. 

Thanks, il give that ago 👍