Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn 30 August

Kon

I have been away on holidays and it seems I missed some of the nice seeing recently. I was eager to have a go on imaging last night despite the gust of wind. Seeing was not terrible. Saturn in colour looks a bit messy. A combination with IR seems to tidy it up a bit. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate, UR/IR cut or IR pass filter. It seems that my whites are a bit overexposed although capture histogram was ~70%. Drizzle 1.5x and downsized to 80%. Order of images: colour, IR and IR-colour combined. I am quite pleased with the Cassini division as it is usually a mess.

image.png.0bc6c70c64d12ef2af7083fdeaea9dbb.pngimage.png.d2ccda974c78fc54add1d58d089cdcc8.pngimage.png.8c60888751bc4bac4115ca9cbe94c169.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 10

28 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Not bad Kon seeing clearly not the worst. Though wind jolts the image around doesn't it. Good to see you posting again. 

Thanks. The vibrations were awful but I was too eager after my 2 week holiday break. I am currently going through my Jupiter captures but they seem to be suffering as well, not as good details as the captures during the heat wave.

5 hours ago, Kon said:

I have been away on holidays and it seems I missed some of the nice seeing recently. I was eager to have a go on imaging last night despite the gust of wind. Seeing was not terrible. Saturn in colour looks a bit messy. A combination with IR seems to tidy it up a bit. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate, UR/IR cut or IR pass filter. It seems that my whites are a bit overexposed although capture histogram was ~70%. Drizzle 1.5x and downsized to 80%. Order of images: colour, IR and IR-colour combined. I am quite pleased with the Cassini division as it is usually a mess.

image.png.0bc6c70c64d12ef2af7083fdeaea9dbb.pngimage.png.d2ccda974c78fc54add1d58d089cdcc8.pngimage.png.8c60888751bc4bac4115ca9cbe94c169.png

Nice images, notice that you also have a ZWO ASI 462, and a 2.5 x Powermate.

Are you pleased with your ASI 462, FLO recommended it to me over ASI 224, but wondering whether I made the right choice.

John 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Nice images, notice that you also have a ZWO ASI 462, and a 2.5 x Powermate.

Are you pleased with your ASI 462, FLO recommended it to me over ASI 224, but wondering whether I made the right choice.

John 

Yes very pleased with the camera. I upgraded from the asi120mc-s to the 462mc. If you look my planetary captures they have vastly improved since I got it as I can easily get 300fps (on Jupiter) and ~200 (on Saturn) at ROI 640x480. The advantage is the IR sensitivity and it shows clearly. I am into ISS imaging and if you look under the 'Imaging - Widefield, Special Events and Comets' you will see how I have improved them based on this camera (do a quick ISS search on that forum and you will see IR and RGB captures). My best capture here:

I have followed your posts with Neil and worth taking his advise; I have really improved both my processing and captures based on his recommendations on my posts. Similarly several of us have the asi462mc posting on this forum (a quick search on the planetary section with the asi462mc as a term will pull recent captures). Conditions are also vital as bad seeing will still be bad with any camera. 

• Like 1