NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advise on the best autracker on the market which wont brake the bank.

Hi everyone,

Now I dont have the money to actually purchase one but its gonna be the next thing for me to save up for.

So I would like any advise on the best Auto-tracker that will go with my Skywatcher 130D. I currently have a EQ2 motor drive but frankly its rubbish.

I'm looking to save up about £150-£200 within the next few months and i know its not much but whats the best for that amount of money either brand new or second hand ????

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

Are you looking to upgrade to a mounting which can accept "auto-guiding"??

If so, the mounting needs to have a ST-4 guide port, then you need a guide system; either a smaller guide scope with a CCD camera, mounted on your main scope or an Off axis system and a CCD camera, Oh you'll also need a computer to "talk" to the guide camera and send signals to the mount; Oh, and lots of cables!!

Not in your current budget, but I use a HEQ5pro mount with a QHY5 guide camera mounted on a ST80 scope....

Hi Mmerlin66,

I'm talking more about a SupaTrak Heavy-Duty Motorised Multi-Speed Auto-Tracking Alt-Azimuth Mount

EXPLORER-130P SupaTrak TM AUTO - 130mm (5.1”) f/650 MOTORISED PARABOLIC REFLECTOR AUTO-TRACKING TELESCOPE by OVL

Not the scope just theAuto-Tracking mount.

I dont know much about them or ones similar so would appreciate some advise. Are they any good if so whats the bast?

cheers

Neil

I've used a SuperTrack mount and it works OK with a 130mm scope. I would not really call it heavy duty though - it's tripod legs are a bit thin - it held a 127mm Maksutov scope fine but was not so stable with my 102mm F/6.5 refractor which has a longer tube than the Mak of course.

The tracking bit works OK as long as you take a bit of care to point the mount north and level it before slewing to what you want to observe. It tracked accurately enough to keep an object in the field of view at moderate power for some minutes before I needed to touch the control pad. It's not a GOTO mount though so you have to know where to point the scope.

John

Hi John,

Do you think my money when I save it would be best spent on a GoTo Mount then a autotracker???

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

To be honest my advice would be to make the best of the mount you have - the EQ2 is fine with a 130mm scope if it's working properly. If it was me I'd be looking towards putting the money towards a larger scope, possibly an 8" dobsonian.

John

second hand market is the place to look with that sort of budget, look for something like a EQ5 or NEQ3 if you can find it. both can track and come in GOTO form as well as autoguiding as well if you want that is future.

All this assumes you want to image? if not then perhaps a tracking mount is an expensive extra that you can do without?

Hi guys,

I am currently imaging but just find it very difficult with an EQ2 to set it up to track without it drifting.

I want to purchase a better mount to help track better so I can image for longer.

The EQ5 can be bought for just £199. So I might save up for that and if anyone sells one second hand cheaper I might be able to grab a bargain.

Cheers for your help

Neil

Archived