Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C14 mirror locking screws question

Hi,  I have a brand new Celestron C14 XTL,

I have read through the manual and tried to do a bit of a search online,  but so far haven't been able to find any answers to my question,  so i was hoping someone on here might be able to help me out please?

I am talking about the two mirror locking screw in the photo below.

So far all i have done is set it up during the day to focus up a distance radio tower and align my red dot finder to it.

To do this i completely unwound both mirror locking screws so i could get enough focus travel to reach focus, ( i am not sure if i should of done that or not, but i have the locking screws back on their thread now )

So the question is:

When i get focus say on Jupiter, am i suppose to then do these two locking nuts back up or are they suppose to be left undone a say about 1 full turn?

I latter plan to replace the focusing knob with a ZWO electric focuser.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

187851387_telescopemirror.jpg.9cb403605f4267ee03ec1a790ad0f222.jpg

The tag just says:

Before attempting to focus, loosen these screw completely.

This is the latest version of the C14 XTL,  well at least a few months old anyway.

Removing and looking through the two vent  holes,  you can see the large metal plate that holds the primary mirror and the focuser rod attached to it.

Also attached to this is these two locking screws.

I am guessing they are transit screws,  but i am also guessing the same is true for the Edge version and possible the same setup inside?

I am just not sure if you are just suppose to leave them a few turns loose while in use or get focus and then tighten them down?

Well that’s quite an ambiguous label! 

The Edge HD mirror locks look like more than just a simple bolt pushed against the plate

85F55AD0-9CBC-431A-9EC0-F35222E4CA77.jpeg.aa0281fbc14de9acbbcf16733b7bea47.jpeg

I think they’re transit bolts but it’s definitely worth getting confirmation from Celesteron about what they actually are and what to do with them. Sorry I can’t be any more help! There are a few C14 owners on here so maybe someone can chime in with any further info.

That drawing there looks almost exactly the same as what i can see when i remove those side vents.

You can see that bolt going into that large metal plate.

Getting a reply from celestron is a 50 / 50 chance you get a reply,  but will send them another one off to them.

I have an Edge and they are locking bolts on my version.  

The idea is that you loosen them, focus, then tighten them again…to lock the mirror in it’s focused position…so that as the OTA moves during tracking / slewing you don’t suffer from mirror flop.

For imaging this is a big deal and nice to have.

For visual it’s not really necessary and I just loosen them at the start of the session and tighten them at the end before packing away.

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the long delay in replying.

I had been waiting a while for Celestron to get back to my emails that i sent a few times to them.

They are a little confused with their own products,  but finally got the answer that they are only used for when transporting the scope,  they ay you just unscrew them completely and leave it like that at al times unless it is transported.

Cheers.