NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first attempt at the Sadr region.

Felias

I have finally been able to test my new Samyang 135mm F2 properly. It was very clear last night, so I took the car and went out to my usual dark not-to-bright spot in the fields. I don't know what's going on later with my Star Adventurer, but I'm finding it difficult to keep it polar aligned after loading it with the telescope, or with the camera in this case. I had to settle for 20-second subs to avoid trailing, but I'm anyway limited by the light pollution (including 40% moon), so it's not as bad as it seems.

Anyway, modded Canon 700D, 472 x 20s subs, ISO 1600, F/2.8. Stacked in DSS, colour calibrated in Siril, stretched in PS. I used Starnet v2 to reduce the stars, there are too many in this region. I was trying to make the Crescent Nebula stand out, but at some point stretching started to make artifacts in the larger nebulae around Sadr. Maybe it's all that can be done with these data, but any hints will be appreciated.

1192762206_Sadr_FINAL_lesssaturation_33pc.thumb.jpg.caaa48d3a7617bbcac28cb4352767ece.jpg

• Like 12

I have reprocessed the stack from scratch, enhancing the nebulosity and reducing the stars further. I think it looks better, and there is definitely more detail that was hidden in the photo above...

Sadr_FINAL.thumb.jpg.261df31dc44f2dc87ffb6cb2869469a6.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, peter shah said:

great work...its a lovely region....those Samyang lenses are superb

Thank you! Yes, I'm very happy with the lens, and looking forward to pointing it at Orion this Autumn....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinB said:

Excellent, the second image certainly doesn't look as "pushed"

Thank you, that's actually great to read... My Lenovo doesn't have the greatest screen dynamic range, so I'm always wondering if I'm overdoing the stretch. I normally check on my mobile phone and my Surface pro that the final result is reasonable, but it's good to know that it works for others!

Great image from an DSLR! 
The second image is my favourite !

The 135 is a fantastic lens, almost negates the need for a telescope! I had a great year imaging with mine and will probably never part with it 

well done! 
Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, assouptro said:

Great image from an DSLR! 
The second image is my favourite !

The 135 is a fantastic lens, almost negates the need for a telescope! I had a great year imaging with mine and will probably never part with it 

well done! 
Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

Thank you! I'll definitely have a hard time choosing between the Samyang and the Z61 refractor in the rare nights of good weather now that the summer is ending...

• Like 1

This particular region was one of the first things i attempted when i started AP just over a couple of years ago, but i only had a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and a stock Canon 4000D. I got a decent enough result considering my absolute beginner status at the time and not having a modded cam. 

What strikes me the most is the huge difference that makes to capturing the huge amount of nebulosity in that part of the sky.  

Actually, looking back at my images just now, they are pretty shoddy compared to yours and not because of my lack of modded DSLR 😂.

I hope you dont mind me posting them here for a laugh and a good comparison at how much better your first attempt is. LOL.  Yikes...the shame 😶😁 (don't take me too seriously, im really just poking fun at myself0

I look forward to seeing your future images mate. 

1134323089_246067904_northamericanebulafinal.jpg.bdb3c2eb482c999fa97d5c7c162c0356copy.thumb.jpg.8728338afecc92adaa980993e00b87dc.jpg1667702968_1342766330_Cygnusstackedgraded.jpg.b79974b86ba8197507692dc1b18f9e6acopy.thumb.jpg.cd366f5172049afd7209f40397d087b6.jpg