SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help - Monochrome planetary imaging

I'm trying to get the hang on monochrome imaging of the planets

I captured some data of Saturn and Jupiter the other night and wanted to process them, but the colors are missing or looking strange. 
I run each video through AS3 and then Registax. 

When I merged the RGB channels in Photoshop the colours seems to be wrong. 

Here is a link to the files for anything til download. 
https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZ1IlHZ3V1QxIsR49FSQfcklcNH1YijJq7k

Any advice or suggestion would be highly appreciated!

Merged.jpg

Looking at your raw stacks I think you mixed up the filters during capture. I think your R is actually a G, your G is actually a B, and your B is actually an R.

You can tell as red is normally sharpest, blue is worst and green is somewhere in the middle 

Edited by CraigT82

All your Jupiter files look the same. You would expect each colour filter to look slightly different when presented in mono. Looks like something has gone wrong somewhere and you do not actually have R,G and B captures.

15 minutes ago, Freddie said:

All your Jupiter files look the same. You would expect each colour filter to look slightly different when presented in mono. Looks like something has gone wrong somewhere and you do not actually have R,G and B captures.

That is strange.

I just checked my filterwheel and it seems to work properly. I use the same filterwheel for DSO with no problem??

I might have found the error. 

Playing around with my filterwheel. It works fine when the motor is pointing down, but if I turn it 90 degree it starts to have trouble turning the filters. 
Seems like the wheel it self is a little loss. Only couple of month old. 

Thank you all for respons.

/Ricky

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

You can tell as red is normally sharpest, blue is worst and green is somewhere in the middle 

that’s the opposite to what i get with DSO imaging Craig. I focus in red but find blue and green sharper and higher contrast. Is it different for planets?

Mark

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

that’s the opposite to what i get with DSO imaging Craig. I focus in red but find blue and green sharper and higher contrast. Is it different for planets?

Mark

Yes I think there's differences here between lucky imaging and long exposure imaging.  In high resolution lucky imaging the shorter the wavelength the worse the dispersion, and the worse it's affected by seeing. Hence why we use red channel or IR captures when seeing is poor as they remain relatively sharp.

For DSO and long exposures I think the resolution is low enough that dispersion isn't an issue and the seeing affects all channels pretty much equally due to the long exposures. Therefore it comes down to the scopes optics as to which channels come out sharpest?  That's my guess anyway!

• Like 1