Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anybody capture any good Perseids 2022 under that big Moon ??

I imagine most cameras would have been pointed Northwards.

Here is my take.   Canon 60D  10sec exposures..... about 5 hours worth   !!!    ISO 2000 Samyang 14mm lens F2.8.   Stacked in Sequator.

Maybe I should have stopped it down a bit more or used a slower ISO.

sam14mm.thumb.jpg.0c3d79fb95f62c71130522e0f7615e8f.jpg

and here is a composite of 3 shots showing a passing aircraft but also a photo-bombing Perseid .

Combine2.thumb.jpg.2800558eb7110187736028cf92ef4aa8.jpg

Cheers, Sean

Edited by Craney
  • Like 6

The camera was static and the World spun.... so this produces a problem trying to meld all possible meteors into one frame...... ideally to show a radiant direction.

I used REGISTAX to keep the stars under control, alas my roof looks like it is forming some sort of Mandelbrot set !!!!Combine1.thumb.jpg.f8036fb2b4332bf0c9cf191aca088b91.jpg

The pesky aircraft is still there due to being on a sub with a decent meteor.

Combine1.tif

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes. Literally hundreds, although this was over the course of the entire period the Perseids are active during, and I'm using 1/30 s exposures (recording footage rather than stills - copes with light pollution/Moon/clouds better than long exposure imaging). I also mostly ignored faint meteors during most nights, apart from two nights which I spent under darker skies in Carmarthenshire, Wales, a few nights before peak. Since the last few nights have been clouded out I was able to finish editing the last of the footage from the second of the two nights. Here are the clips/descriptions from those nights:

This is the condensed footage from the second of two nights I was able to run cameras while in Wales on the night of 9/10 August in the run-up to the peak of the Perseid meteor shower this year(2022). I was able to run two Sony a7SII cameras, and this one is from the camera with the 20/1.4 lens.

Over the course of just under 6 hrs, the 20mm lens was able to record at least 214 meteors (I counted 121 suspected Perseids and 93 others/any meteor that was likely not a Perseid), and I've edited out all the gaps between meteors, so all the meteors from the entire time that the camera was running fit into a video that is 8:26 long.

Note that the camera is pointed slightly west of north, and the North Star (Polaris) is visible near the top, and right of center. Over the course of the night Earth's rotation means you can see the stars rotate (in jumps, between meteors) in this footage, and the larger the jump, the more time has elapsed between meteors. During periods when the rates are high, there are no jumps or perhaps only very small jumps.There is one instance of simultaneous Perseids, and a few occasions when meteors appeared within a second or two of each other.

I did move the camera away from the direction the Sun was starting to rise in so that I could carry on recording for a bit longer at the end of the night, and managed to catch a meteor or two while the camera was in motion.

Equipment/settings: Sony a7SII + Sigma Art 20/1.4 @ f1.4 - 1/30s, ISO 40K-80K, 30 FPS - Recording internally to card - Maximum quality (vivid setting set on camera).

Here's footage using the 35mm f0.95. The footage starts at  ~21:30 UT and ends at ~02:00 UT - around 4.5 hrs total. I've edited out most of the time

in between meteors so this is 4.5 hrs worth of meteors condensed into just under 5.5 minutes. I've included other meteors, not just Perseids, and

they make up the bulk of meteors caught. I counted 44 Perseids and 94 "others", making 138 meteors in total. "Others" includes at least one bright

kappa Cygnid, and meteors from other active radiants such as the Southern delta Aquarids, as well as sporadic meteors.

The camera was actually running for another 1.5 hrs, but I decided to end the video where it ends as I dropped the ISO down from 100K to 60K after

that, and it kills the flow a bit. I should have dropped the ISO a bit more gradually, but at the time was thinking more about hedging my bets, and

getting some footage at a lower ISO as I was unsure if the higher ISOs would look acceptable - I'm still experimenting and trying to find out what

works best, especially under a dark sky.

Equipment/settings: Sony a7SII + Laowa 35/0.95 @ f0.95 - 1/30s, ISO 20000-100000, 30 FPS - Recording internally to card - Maximum quality (vivid

setting set on camera).

Realtime 4K footage of the Perseid meteor shower - 09-10 Aug 2022 - Cam2

Apart from that, I only saved footage of the brighter events the cameras caught. Here are the best examples:

However, my favorite catch during the Perseids, was not a Perseid, but an alpha Capricornid:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...