Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CEM70 - Alignment

PatrickC

Just taken delivery and trying to learn!

Manual says that to do, say, 3 star alignment, must start at Zero position.

I do 'Go to Zero' - but Alignment menu only shows two entries for Polaris.

I do 'Search for Zero' - still only two entries

I do 'Set Zero Position' (Surely it must be at Zero now??) - still only two entries

What am I doing wrong - or not doing??

TIA

Patrick

I realise it's daytime but anyway this is what I see for the zero pos setup:

5.10. Zero Position
5.10.1. Goto Zero Position
This moves your telescope to its Zero Position.
5.10.2. Set Zero Position
This set the Zero Position for the firmware.
The Zero Position reference will be an undefined value after firmware upgrade, or it may lost during
power outage or HC battery replacement. You can use this function to set the zero position reference.
Press the ENTER after moving the mount to Zero Position either manually or with the hand
controller.

5.10.3. Search Zero Pos.
In the event of power failure, the mount will lose all its alignment information. This can be very
troublesome if the mount is being operated from a remote observation site and is controlled via the internet.
To counter this, the CEM70 has been equipped with a function that can find the Zero Position for an initial
mount set up.
Select Search Zero Pos. and the mount will start to slew slowly and find the R.A. and DEC
position to set the mount to the Zero Position. When the mount has found the Zero Position, the HC will ask
if you want to calibrate the Zero Position. Press ENTER to confirm. Use the arrow keys to fine adjust the
zero position. This will correct any discrepancy in the Zero Position. Alternatively, press BACK to cancel.

I assume you have the mount in its "Home Position" physically and you are trying to set that as the "Zero" position?

I am also assuming that the mount is already polar aligned???

I am assuming that if the above are true then you are being shown the only feasible stars available although given it is daytime I'd expect that to be  none at all so I am a bit confused as to what you're expecting to happen....

7 hours ago, PatrickC said:

Just taken delivery and trying to learn!

Manual says that to do, say, 3 star alignment, must start at Zero position.

I do 'Go to Zero' - but Alignment menu only shows two entries for Polaris.

I do 'Search for Zero' - still only two entries

I do 'Set Zero Position' (Surely it must be at Zero now??) - still only two entries

What am I doing wrong - or not doing??

TIA

Patrick

Zero position is home position , weights down, looking at the ncp if you're northern hemisphere... Trusting that you entered the time date latitude and longitude it now can point towards your stars for alignment as it knows where it is and where the stars should be...3 star alignment is like a fine tune calibration 

Thank you all for your replies. They have helped!

I do have mixed feelings about this CEM70 mount. 

On opening the box I was greeted by the warning sheet to read the Quick Start Guide. No Quick Start Guide in the box!

Its listed in the contents, in the Quick Start Guide that I had downloaded, but its not in the box.

The PE graph looks as if it has been retrieved from the office waste paper bin. Several times.

The Go2Nova hand controller in the box is not the one described in the manual, Quick Start or full.

On switch on, powered by the supplied 'brick', the Go2Nova lights up, beeps, and goes out. 2 seconds later, it lights up, beeps, and goes out.

And repeats, and repeats -------

Connect it to a 12V battery and it stays on - - Go2Nova can actually make the mount do things!

Not much works correctly until I stoke up the courage to upgrade firmware. The instructions in the manual do not apply to the supplied model of Go2Nova!

I could go on.

But, by luck and guesswork, I am making progress.

I have even got it to (reluctantly) talk to PHD2 and even (reluctantly) actually autoguide!

I've got it to talk to CdC - not properly (I've not used CdC before) but not to Stellarium (my preferred).

3 star align shows no sign of working.

Its keeping me busy. I'm making progress, I think. I might even get it to work!

Thank you!

Upgrading the firmware is a piece of cake,you tube is your friend here...

Using the mains charger doesn't sound right... I'd ask for another one...

3 star alignment should work, provided the time/date/ latitude and longitude have been entered...if it doesn't I'd contact your vendor and maybe send it back