Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount stopped after firmware update. How to reset?

kazuo

I bought Skywatcher AZ-GTi last month, and having problem of my mount.  After update of Firmware v 3.32, my mount stopped.  No  light, no wifi.   I sent inquirely to skywatcher tech support just before.   But I'm wondering anyone has same experience and can share how to solve this.   Your input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Kaz

Hi Kaz, there is an owners thread on the AZ GTi mount; I'm  ploughing through it myself having just acquired one too.  It's a bit of a read but you may find some help there.

Jim 

A couple of questions to narrow down the problem:

• How long after the firmware update did it fail, immediately or after working for a while?
  • How are you powering it, batteries or psu?
  • Have you changed the psu?
  • Is there any red led flashing (3 flashes usually denotes a failed firmware update)
  • Does it show on wifi list either beggining SW... or EP...?
  • Have you tried a new lead such as an eqdir/eqmod lead recently? That might be cause if not a reputable make.

• Like 1

Hi, SAteve

Thank you for your comment.

1. Mount stopped just after firmware installation finished.   I noticed that windows shows opdating firmware finished.  Right after this I powerdowned then no recover.

2. I use  battery so far.   And after this event, I renewed all battery.

3. There isn't any light. no flashing.

4. There isn't any wifi broadcasting from Mount.  

5. I don't understand your question in relate to lead.  

Thanks,

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount stopped after firmware update. How to reset?
8 hours ago, kazuo said:

Hi, SAteve

Thank you for your comment.

1. Mount stopped just after firmware installation finished.   I noticed that windows shows opdating firmware finished.  Right after this I powerdowned then no recover.

2. I use  battery so far.   And after this event, I renewed all battery.

3. There isn't any light. no flashing.

4. There isn't any wifi broadcasting from Mount.  

5. I don't understand your question in relate to lead.  

Thanks,

Thanks for the answers.  This looks like a power issue then.

If the firmware had failed the mount should power up and the led would flash 3 times, the wifi name would default back to a name beginning EP... (as the wifi name is changed when the firmware loads correctly to SW...).  A failed firmware update can be fixed but needs a lead to connect to the mount (or via a handset controller).

My question on using a new eqmod/eqdir lead is because some have used diy leads for this which have caused power surges. The leads are normally used to connect the mount to a computer  to allow it to be controlled by astro software.

If you have a 12v dc power supply (1A or more) with the correct tip & polarity it would be worth trying that. The problem could be a simple wire fault to the battery holder (I'd leave the batteries out when using the DC 12v psu). Just to assure you the above is  based on the power supply specs from the AZ-Gti manual.

HTH

Steve

I tried power up using 12 volt transfer, actually voltage could be 15-16 DC volt and transfer coil spec shows 300mA.   But Nothing happened.  I confirmed battery pack voltage, 12 DC volt.     

10 hours ago, kazuo said:

I tried power up using 12 volt transfer, actually voltage could be 15-16 DC volt and transfer coil spec shows 300mA.   But Nothing happened.  I confirmed battery pack voltage, 12 DC volt.     

Sorry to hear that did not help. Bit worried about the mention of the higher voltage as the manual says max 14V!

Would appear you may need to return it, hopefully covered by warranty if it was bought new.