Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Report Paralysis!

Sunshine

These last three weeks with my new dob have been a whirlwind, this season has presented a staggering number of clear nights so far, almost one after the other for weeks. This is great when testing out and getting to know my new scope but it’s been so much fun and 5hr sessions one after another that I’m so caught up in this observing frenzy I can’t put a report together!. 

Starsense combined with the light gathering capability of an 8” over my 102 has been presenting so many targets I have never seen before, a bit overwhelming! just when I begin to take notes for a report I get carried away tapping on new targets on the starsense app and quickly forget what I wanted to write down. This is what a child in a toy store for the first time must feel like, last night I have seen the cats eye nebula for the first time with its faint central star, a plethora of globulars, a few so faint and challenging they barely looked like globulars and more like faint fuzzie patches without individual stars resolved and many others. Each time I would press the audio description while observing the object which is wonerful! i can’t recall having seen so much in single sessions. Maybe when the Frenzy wears off I will be able to put a report together, for now it is like my scope and starsense are taking my hand and rushing me off every night, amazing.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 9

59 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

just when I begin to take notes for a report I get carried away tapping on new targets on the starsense app and quickly forget what I wanted to write down.

Sounds familiar.
I've started making voice notes while at the eyepiece.  The native iphone voice memos app is fine.  Or you can pick up digital dictaphones easily enough.
I do have to find time the next day to write them up - but they help very much with getting all the key observations from a session.  My reports now are so much more detailed than before. And there is nothing to get in the way or slow down my excited flitting around - increasingly important as the number and durations of decent sessions seems to be on the decline.

Edited by globular
typo
  • Like 1