Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which of these eyepiece pairs would you go for for Solar viewing af f20-f30

Ags

I have been planning on getting a Vixen SLV 25 mm for my birthday in a couple of months to go with my Vixen NPL 30 mm for Ha Solar viewing with my Solar Scout, which I usually use at a focal ratio anywhere from f18 to f30.

But I am always looking for opportunities to confuse myself, and for opportunities to chat about eyepieices... so wondering about the options.

Which of these pairs would you go for? Give your reasoning for 10 marks 😀

-- Vixen SLV 25 and Vixen NPL 30

-- Tak Abbe Ortho 25 and 32

-- Tak LE 24 and 30

-- Televue Plossl 25 and 32

-- Explore Scientific 52° 25 and 30

I have always fancied some orthos, just out of curiosity. But would the Tak ortho be much of an upgrade over my NPL?

Edited by Ags

At those focal ratios, give the SVBONY 68° Ultra Wide Angle 20mm a chance.  I was surprised at how good they are Barlowed and binoviewed:

They handily beat my widefield, long eye relief vintage B&L 15x microscope pair that I've used as my benchmark for years.  Both pairs are terrible below f/12.

I like the wide field, long eye relief, and sharp/contrasty optics of the Svbony.  The price is nice as well.  They're only $30 each from the Svbony store here in the US.

• Like 1

I've tried my Explore Scientific 20/68°, and felt it was pushing the magnification. Also, I think an eyepiece with a deeply recessed eye lens works best for solar. That's partly the reason why I favor the SLV 25.

57 minutes ago, Ags said:

I've tried my Explore Scientific 20/68°, and felt it was pushing the magnification. Also, I think an eyepiece with a deeply recessed eye lens works best for solar. That's partly the reason why I favor the SLV 25.

Good point.  Trouble for me is that I can't wear my eyeglasses with most of them to correct out my 2.0 diopters of eye astigmatism.

Although, you could try these:

spacer.png

or these:

spacer.png

to block the sunlight.

• Like 1

The Vixen combo sounds good, but I prefer my Baader classic plossl to the the NPL, if only Baader would add a 25mm to the range. The 18mm BCO still gives full disc views in a Solar scout but you'll need good seeing to be able to use it. I also like the winged eyecups on this range.

Didn't get on with the Televue 25mm plossl in my Solar scout. Byyeee!

That leaves Tak or ES from your list. Tak's reputation precedes, I doubt you'll go wrong there but I don't have any experience with those particular eps. I would go for the orthos, being a fan of orthos.

I didn't get on at all with ES 82s, but 52s? Might be worth a shout.

If it were my money, I'd choose the ESs over the Taks, for cost reasons, and the fact that Baader don't make a 25mm BCO or classic plossl.

• Like 1

There's one obvious combo I forgot to include:

-- Vixen NPL 25 and 30

This would satisfy my sense of order as both are from the same line. Also, it's the cheapest option.

15 minutes ago, Ags said:

There's one obvious combo I forgot to include:

-- Vixen NPL 25 and 30

This would satisfy my sense of order as both are from the same line. Also, it's the cheapest option.

Exactly what I have and was going to suggest. 

I compared several eyepieces for h-alpha solar work.  These included Televue, Baader, GSO, and Vixen NPL Plossls.  There was minimal difference between them, even on prominences that are a stiff test.

However, I kept the 25 and 30mm NPLs as they were the most comfortable.  This is because of the twist up tops.  I find getting the optimum eye position makes a particularly big difference with a Quark.

Some have criticised them as the tops are either up or down.  However, you can easily secure them in the best intermediate position with an elastic band or hair grip.  

• Like 2

The 25 would also replace the Skywatcher Super 25 in my finder scope (at night of course). I have an idea an SLV 25 would beat the NPL 25 in an f4.1 finder scope, but i will try with the NPL 30 and NPL 20 tonight and see... If they work out for that, I think I will pick up an NPL 25 this weekend!

• Like 1