Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help picking a new imaging telescope

Hello all, 

I really started to struggle with the SW 80ED's focuser slipping with the weight of my camera and filter wheel last imaging season. I attempted to fix it adjusting the tension screws, but the increased resistance did not go down well with my Sesto Senso focuser.  I'm still not sure if I've permanently damaged it or not, but time will tell.

Anyway, instead of forking out £300+ on a Baader steeltrack or similar, I thought that money would be better spent going towards a triplet (or more) imaging scope that already has a sturdy focuser.  So I would like recommendations please!

Criteria:

• Good fit for a ZWO ASI 294MC pro and L-eXtreme filter in typical UK skies
  • Not too heavy for a AZEQ6
Edited by scitmon

My interest is deep sky objects.  Focal length I'm less concerned with than I am with getting a good match to my camera.  Or is this the wrong approach?

I've played around with the CCD suitability calculator on https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability, so for example if I was to go with the StellaMira 90mm ED Triplet f/6 that would give me 1.77" / pixel.  Is there a sweetspot to aim for on this figure?

I had that exact camera, filter and mount and used it with my WO GT81 but just moved to a mono QHY 294m so there's one option for you and won't break the bank either..... Having said that the recommendation would probably be for a focuser that doesn't use the fine focus knob anyway. It might be a bit harsh but there's probably a reason why they are sometimes known as the Sesto Slippo..... 🙂

If you want to fix the focuser on the ED80 then have a look at the video below. I know this isn't the 10:1 Crayford but they suffer from the same issue. I did this tune to my ED100 DS Pro and it made quite a difference.

I can also recommend THIS focuser for the ED80 & ED100, I have one on both of mine, and it has a built-in rotator as well. ;)

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

If you want to fix the focuser on the ED80 then have a look at the video below. I know this isn't the 10:1 Crayford but they suffer from the same issue. I did this tune to my ED100 DS Pro and it made quite a difference.

I can also recommend THIS focuser for the ED80 & ED100, I have one on both of mine, and it has a built-in rotator as well. ;)

Thank you for the recommendation, do you use it for imaging? If so does it cope well with a camera and filter wheel?

7 minutes ago, scitmon said:

Thank you for the recommendation, do you use it for imaging? If so does it cope well with a camera and filter wheel?

I do use it for imaging. I have it connected to the Skywatcher 0.85 FF/FR, ZWO filter draw and ASI294MC Pro. On my ED80 I've also fitted the ZWO EAF to it. 

This is my (slightly dusty) ED100:

IMG_1248.JPG.283af3032b36aa358ba9b839de61ed03.JPG

I forgot to mention, this focuser uses push-fit only, there is no thread on the end of the focus tube, like there is on the standard Skywatcher Crayford. So if you use the RR/FR then you'll need one of THESE. ;)