Jump to content

Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

Problems connecting EQ5 to ASIAIR with EQMOD cable


Recommended Posts

I’m quite used to this method with the Az GTi and the mount is seen immediately when configured as “EQMOD mount”. I’ve acquired a rather elderly EQ5 SynScan Goto mount, it works perfectly fine with the Skywatcher Wi-Fi adapter plugged in and the SynScan Pro app. I tested it earlier today with SkySafari and it tracked a star perfectly for a number of hours.

However, when I switch to the ASIAIR Pro using the LynxAstro EQMOD cable the ASIAIR will not connect to the mount. I’ve re-connected it to the Az GTi and works ok so the cable isn’t faulty. I’ve also tried every single baud rate without success. I thought that maybe the mounts firmware needed updating being a beginner in EQ mounts but of course that firmware is for the hand controller which is not used in this respect.

I’d be grateful for any ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You've changed the baud rate, but are you selecting the correct port ??

There are no ports to change as it's a wired connection between the mount and the Asiair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you connect the EQDIR cable it should install a COM port which should default to 9600 baud.    In EQMOD you need to select the same PORT and speed to match.  

One other possibility is that the EQ5 synscan unit is faulty.  Did it come with a hand controller, and if it did can you move the mount using the speed setting 9 and direction buttons on the handset ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, malc-c said:

When you connect the EQDIR cable it should install a COM port which should default to 9600 baud.    In EQMOD you need to select the same PORT and speed to match.  

One other possibility is that the EQ5 synscan unit is faulty.  Did it come with a hand controller, and if it did can you move the mount using the speed setting 9 and direction buttons on the handset ?

I’m using an IPad to connect wirelessly to the ASIAIR, there is no provision to select a COM port. The ASIAIR software indicates that a serial connection has been made physically but data connection seems not to be possible.

I’ve tested the hand set as you describe and it works fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I’m using an IPad to connect wirelessly to the ASIAIR, there is no provision to select a COM port. The ASIAIR software indicates that a serial connection has been made physically but data connection seems not to be possible.

I’ve tested the hand set as you describe and it works fine.

Is there any way to check the settings of the com port - I'm not familiar with the custom OS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Is there any way to check the settings of the com port - I'm not familiar with the custom OS

Don’t know, I’ll check it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK a bit of googling and it seems you can run Windows / Linux / Mac OS, and then they have their own imaging suit application running over the top.  So Device Manager should still be accessible ?

Page 14 of the manual shows a settings page for the serial connection within the custom application... I can't find any reference to accessing windows components 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you use an eqmod cable you are using the old style com port and baud rate (9600) - if you use a new mount with onboard usb it will still need a com port though will run at a higher baud rate.  You've been used to wifi connections which use a network type connection (note you don't use a com port setting to connect a phone or laptop to your network) 😁

As the AAP is a closed Linux system you need to select the mount settings and auto port as you can;t see the com port currently assigned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only settings available to me in the Asiair app when connecting the mount to the Asiair with the EQMOD cable are mount selection, so I choose EQMOD mount and the baud rate, so I choose 9600 but still there is no connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the mount turned on, both at the mount and in AAP? I presume the AAP has auto detect only as there is no way to find the actual com port assigned.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the EQ5 and the ASIAir Plus and I've just fired them up to check the settings on the ASIAir App.

Mount: EQMod Mount - switch to the right of the mount type is ON

Serial = Connected

Baud = 9600

I don't have anything else connected to the ASIAir Plus but I can move the mount using the up-down-left-right buttons on the main screen, so it's definitely connected & works. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just tried that with only the EQMOD  cable connected but was a no go☹️.

Just to be clear, you have the cable connected to the guide port on the power thingy and the usb bit connected to a USB 2 port on the AAP?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My EQDIR cable has the USB end connected to one of the USB2 ports on the ASIAir Plus, the RJ45 end is plugged into the port where the hand controller normally goes on the EQ5.

The EQDIR cable replaces the Synscan hand controller. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Looking on the FLO website, the EQDIR for the AZ GTi is different to the one for the EQ5. It looks like the AZ GTi has the RJ11 connection, where as the EQ5 version has the larger RJ45.

The only time you would use the "Autoguider" connection on the EQ5's control box is when you're connecting the ST4 cable directly between the mount & the camera, then the mount would have to be set to "On Camera" in the ASIAir. You would also still need the USB cable connection from the camera to the ASIAir as well.

Looks like you need another EQDIR cable, unless your mount has one of the newer hand controllers with the USB port on the bottom. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
Corrected EQ5 link.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Looking on the FLO website, the EQDIR for the AZ GTi is different to the one for the EQ5. It looks like the AZ GTi has the RJ11 connection, where as the EQ5 version has the larger RJ45.

The only time you would use the "Autoguider" connection on the EQ5's control box is when you're connecting the ST4 cable directly between the mount & the camera, then the mount would have to be set to "On Camera" in the ASIAir. You would also still need the USB cable connection from the camera to the ASIAir as well.

Looks like you need another EQDIR cable, unless your mount has one of the newer hand controllers with the USB port on the bottom. ;)

I've only got one thing to say....aaaargh😱.

It didn't occur to me that there would be different cables for different mounts, thanks for that, you've most likely solved the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Looking on the FLO website, the EQDIR for the AZ GTi is different to the one for the EQ5. It looks like the AZ GTi has the RJ11 connection, where as the EQ5 version has the larger RJ45.

The only time you would use the "Autoguider" connection on the EQ5's control box is when you're connecting the ST4 cable directly between the mount & the camera, then the mount would have to be set to "On Camera" in the ASIAir. You would also still need the USB cable connection from the camera to the ASIAir as well.

Looks like you need another EQDIR cable, unless your mount has one of the newer hand controllers with the USB port on the bottom. ;)

Was just about to post the same, it’s a different cable.  Here’s the link for the EQ5 cable (it looks like the Az gti cable link was posted twice above 👍).

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html.

It’s probably worth a quick email to FLO first before you buy though @LaurenceT as you say you have a rather elderly EQ5 - just in case something has changed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, herne said:

Was just about to post the same, it’s a different cable.  Here’s the link for the EQ5 cable (it looks like the Az gti cable link was posted twice above 👍).

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html.

It’s probably worth a quick email to FLO first before you buy though @LaurenceT as you say you have a rather elderly EQ5 - just in case something has changed.

Oops, I was flicking between the two and must have use the wrong one, now corrected. :D

My EQ5 is well over 12 years old and works fine with the RJ45 version, I only got the cable a few months ago to replace the original, which I cut down to use on my HEQ5.

@LaurenceT, you can still use the ST4 method to connect the mount to the ASIAir, it just means you'll have another cable to worry about. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, the penny has dropped. You had no chance getting it connected properly using the guide port, the eqmod cables replace the handset and use the handset port it connects to.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.