SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro darkness welcome back!

Kon

It has been over a month since I managed to do any nebula observing. I was up until late trying to image ISS at 3am, and while I was waiting I noticed that the Milky way was showing brightly so I had a go look the Cygnus area. I used my ES24mm with the OIII filter. I started with the North American Nebula. It really stood out from the dark background; the Gulf of Mexico was also nicely visible. I then moved to Veil. It really does not getting boring how many times I observed it last year. Both the East and West were showing the delicate filamental appearance, all with direct vision . I could easily follow the whole area with the Dob panning around. Still breathtaking as the first time I saw it.

I was hoping to do more observing but thin clouds came and visibility dropped a lot including the Milky Way disappearing. I am so glad I got some of my favourite nebulas in the 30min clear window. The best part was observing with a t-shirt compared to the winter months. Astro darkness welcome back!

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, Kon said:

It has been over a month since I managed to do any nebula observing. I was up until late trying to image ISS at 3am, and while I was waiting I noticed that the Milky way was showing brightly so I had a go look the Cygnus area. I used my ES24mm with the OIII filter. I started with the North American Nebula. It really stood out from the dark background; the Gulf of Mexico was also nicely visible. I then moved to Veil. It really does not getting boring how many times I observed it last year. Both the East and West were showing the delicate filamental appearance, all with direct vision . I could easily follow the whole area with the Dob panning around. Still breathtaking as the first time I saw it.

I was hoping to do more observing but thin clouds came and visibility dropped a lot including the Milky Way disappearing. I am so glad I got some of my favourite nebulas in the 30min clear window. The best part was observing with a t-shirt compared to the winter months. Astro darkness welcome back!

I wish that I could see the Milky Way from my garden even with astro darkness! 

Mind, about 10 days ago, whilst testing out yet another DIY addition, I was surprised how well the ring and dumbbell nebula stood out. Probably helped by being high in the sky and (for my location) the “dark” area of my sky.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

I wish that I could see the Milky Way from my garden even with astro darkness! 

Mind, about 10 days ago, whilst testing out yet another DIY addition, I was surprised how well the ring and dumbbell nebula stood out. Probably helped by being high in the sky and (for my location) the “dark” area of my sky.

I am quite lucky with my site and that's what got me into the hobby. Ring and dumbbell are relatively bright which probably helps with your location; do you use any filters at all that may help with light pollution?

28 minutes ago, Kon said:

I am quite lucky with my site and that's what got me into the hobby. Ring and dumbbell are relatively bright which probably helps with your location; do you use any filters at all that may help with light pollution?

I have a cheap Svbony UHC filter. Despite what some say I’ve been surprised by this especially on the Dumbbell. Even on my little 4.5 inch reflector (I didn’t expect it to work on this at all) it transforms the Dumbbell from an Ill defined smudge that’s barely visible to something with structure. Obviously better in my 200p. The Ring is also improved especially in the 200p. With this filter plus 200p on the Ring my daughter described it as “bright”. 

If you could recommend something better I would be interested.

1 minute ago, PeterStudz said:

I have a cheap Svbony UHC filter. Despite what some say I’ve been surprised by this especially on the Dumbbell. Even on my little 4.5 inch reflector (I didn’t expect it to work on this at all) it transforms the Dumbbell from an Ill defined smudge that’s barely visible to something with structure. Obviously better in my 200p. The Ring is also improved especially in the 200p. With this filter plus 200p on the Ring my daughter described it as “bright”. 

Both Nebula are emission nebula which are strong in the OIII spectrum. (Planetary nebula generally all are)

Svbony do one of those which I believe is reasonable but a Astronomik version is a class above and although admit ably expensive, would be a once in a lifetime type purchase.

Astronomik OIII Filter | First Light Optics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

The only filter I have, which was recommended to me by experienced SGL members, is this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/televue-filters/tele-vue-bandmate-oiii-filter.html

It is a bit tighter than the one that Steve recommended above.

My skies are quite dark, bortle 3, so I do not have a LP filter. On a good night I can see the Veil without a filter but it really pops with the OIII.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions. Although I have a list of once in a lifetime astronomy purchases I’m a little strapped for cash at the moment! But I’ll definitely add it to the list.

I do have an LP filter but it doesn’t help much, if at all with LP. However, strangely it does help for solar. Turns the sun a shade of blue but it definitely improves contrast, brings out the granulation and sunspot details. I guess that could just be because it’s deceasing brightness but the improvement is obvious. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kon said:

The only filter I have, which was recommended to me by experienced SGL members, is this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/televue-filters/tele-vue-bandmate-oiii-filter.html

It is a bit tighter than the one that Steve recommended above.

My skies are quite dark, bortle 3, so I do not have a LP filter. On a good night I can see the Veil without a filter but it really pops with the OIII.

My understanding is they are both made by the same people, I looked into this same matter some months since. 

24 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

My understanding is they are both made by the same people, I looked into this same matter some months since. 

I followed that discussion. My understanding was that the TV was a bit tighter on the band pass? I have nothing to compare it to but it has been amazing so far.

10 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Looking at the specs they do seem to be made by Astronomik. But I guess that doesn’t mean that they are exactly the same.  Mind, if I’m going to spend £89 I’m not going to notice another £10 😀

Yes same manufacturer but slightly different specs.

8 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Hey Kostas 👋. Happy to hear that Astro darkness is starting to return to good ole England! Have fun.

Thanks Joe. I am happy to be out observing faint nebulas again. 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 10:36, Kon said:

Just seen this. Snap! Sounds like I should try with a filter. Out of interest, what field of view do you get with your scope/eyepiece combination for the N America nebula? I'm not sure whether it was my inexperience or too small a field of view that meant I didn't see it. Tak76 + 28mm Erfle gives ~2.9° I think

Malcolm 

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

Just seen this. Snap! Sounds like I should try with a filter. Out of interest, what field of view do you get with your scope/eyepiece combination for the N America nebula? I'm not sure whether it was my inexperience or too small a field of view that meant I didn't see it. Tak76 + 28mm Erfle gives ~2.9° I think

Malcolm 

In my 68 degree ES24mm eyepiece I can frame most of the nebula but it feels the whole fov so not much shape unless I pan around. The Gulf of Mexico is better to see since it stands from the background.

Similarly with the Veil. I can see either one but not together.

• Thanks 1