Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cleaning primary mirror.

14 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

I've collimated the laser, the circle on the primary lines up with the cap as from photo above but the laser seems to be out.

The star test I done the other night was perfect so should I adjust so the laser hits the circle or leave it alone .

I measured the spider vanes and they are all equal. 

What else could I adjust. 20220731_144458.thumb.jpg.f64a21c75ffa39f407b2595b2ffc654e.jpg

If you rack the focuser in and out, does the laser dot move on the primary? If it does, that is a big problem and means your focuser has some sideways movement when in different focus positions. If that is the case you have to try and place all collimation tools at the focal point of the scope, where the collimation matters.

Also, try to flip the scope so that the focuser points upwards and just let the laser sit on it by gravity, dont tighten it or anything. Is the position different on the primary this way? If yes, there is some tilt introduced by whatever attachment your focuser has to an eyepiece and that too has to be somehow removed.

20220731_153149.thumb.jpg.39a34dabb60bdc7f973aa242c52abcb0.jpgI tried the self centering adapter still the same.

I tried focusing in and out still the same.

I loosened the adapter screw so it's sits in the adapter freely and it's moved closer

I tried the self centering adapter still the same.

I tried focusing in and out still the same.

I loosened the adapter screw so it's sits in the adapter freely and it's moved closer

On 30/07/2022 at 09:29, TBRHussaR said:

Guys, I just tried to clean my mirror, but there is a “film “ of some kind that I can’t get off….any tips /advice?

Been there, done that. Have you used any kind of dishwasher soap or other household products? If so, that might be the reason. Many youtubers out there recommend a drop or two, the problem is that they don't state any brand, and many of these products leave behind a film that's meant to protect and give shine to the pots and pans it's meant for. Use plenty of destilled  or purified water, your fingertips and cotton balls, and wash and rinse until the film is gone. Don't be tempted to use any solvent until all else is tried. I use no soap or solvent at all. I start with a long and good rinse under tapwater without touching the surface , then continue with cottonballs and destilled water untill I'm satisfied.

18 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

Could it be the secondary mirror needs a slight adjustment. 

Sounds to me like your focuser has no slop. As the reading was the same with the self SC eyepiece. Also sounds like no sideways movement in the focuser as it remains the same when you rack the focuser in and out. Again that's good and suggests you can trust the laser reading. As long as your sure the laser is collimated ? How did you collimate it ? The adapter screw isnt as great a problem because whatever movement it produces when tightening. Will likely produce the same movement when a camera or eyepiece is inserted.

So if you collimate with the screw tightened. Just try to use a similar tightness when putting in a eyepiece and you should still be collimated.

Its not ideal but there is little you can do about that particular movement.

I would star test at high power. Use the laser. Star test again. And see if you think it looks even better. if it looks worse. Then i would stay with visual alignment. It doesn't sound like your far off tbh. other than lunar and planets. And even then if its close. You wont get a huge improvement if its already quite close. It sounds like your a million miles better than when you first started. So if your star tests look good with or without the laser. Start enjoying your new collimated scope. You should find it performs like a totally new and better instrument. Btw i always use to use lasers. Now I just use a combination colli cap. and cheshire. The images I have taken recently speak for themselves I hope. One other way that's a sure way to see good collimation. As you focus in on jupiter. there will be a out of focus ring that gets closer and closer as you reach sharp focus. In my Newtonian. Jupiter is perfectly centred within that out of focus ring. Showing the secondary is correctly placed. and the primary aligned. With no major tilts 

• Like 1

Thanks Neil. 

I done a star test last night conditions weren't great alot of high cloud but everything was concentric. 

I think I'll leave it as it is and enjoy the view's. 

Wednesday ment to be clear I'll report back if I have any more problems. 

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Thanks Neil. 

I done a star test last night conditions weren't great alot of high cloud but everything was concentric. 

I think I'll leave it as it is and enjoy the view's. 

Wednesday ment to be clear I'll report back if I have any more problems. 

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Dave

Try planets and the moon when you get a chance. I think your going to have a surprise. Enjoy