SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TS Optics / GSO 2" diagonal thumbscrew disaster

badhex

58 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

Why do members astro bits and pieces look so shiny and new, and mine resemble something one of the cats dragged in? A scope even has some hardened fibreglass resin I accidentallyl spilt on it 🙂  Maybe I am simply grubby?

I'm guessing those other members don't have draggy cats.

JMSyj9Cl.jpg

I have cats, but they aren't real. They don't drag stuff in and I don't have to feed them. Their mission and purpose however, is classified.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

qAFsnE9l.jpg

I don't use this Sky-Watcher dielectric much. It was originally bundled with my 80 ED DS Pro. I use it with my ST80 as it's relatively light compared to my other 2" diagonals. There's nothing wrong with it optically.

2" Diagonal Comparative Weights:

Baader Zeiss Amici: 650g

APM Amici: 600g

Altair dielectric: 525g

Baader (Long Perng) Amici: 455g

Tele Vue Everbrite: 455g (without adapter)

Baader Maxbright Dielectric: 425g

Sky-Watcher dielectric: 390g

HLw8TLcl.jpg

The 'possible potty' GSO screw is on the left. I've used it for quite a while in the SW diagonal, mainly as I didn't really like the original screw. I have no idea what the screw on the right was originally for. 

gcTPUxIl.jpg

It probably isn't potty metal though. Either way; it fits, it looks and feels good, and works. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

qAFsnE9l.jpg

I don't use this Sky-Watcher dielectric much. It was originally bundled with my 80 ED DS Pro. I use it with my ST80 as it's relatively light compared to my other 2" diagonals. There's nothing wrong with it optically.

2" Diagonal Comparative Weights:

Baader Zeiss Amici: 650g

APM Amici: 600g

Altair dielectric: 525g

Baader (Long Perng) Amici: 455g

Tele Vue Everbrite: 455g (without adapter)

Baader Maxbright Dielectric: 425g

Sky-Watcher dielectric: 390g

HLw8TLcl.jpg

The 'possible potty' GSO screw is on the left. I've used it for quite a while in the SW diagonal, mainly as I didn't really like the original screw. I have no idea what the screw on the right was originally for. 

gcTPUxIl.jpg

It probably isn't potty metal though. Either way; it fits, it looks and feels good, and works. 

The one on the right is the original screw from your SW dielectric, I have exactly the same one and considered swapping out the screws. I also have a version of this diagonal in black, one sold as Opticron, which is exactly the same as the SW Deluxe models. Actually, AFAIK they are all the same. They are made by Long Perng as discovered in the thread below. 

Optically they are great, however they do have a clear aperture of only 41.5mm so you could experience vignetting with very low power EPs, in case that bothers you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, badhex said:

The one on the right is the original screw from your SW dielectric, I have exactly the same one and considered swapping out the screws. I also have a version of this diagonal in black, one sold as Opticron, which is exactly the same as the SW Deluxe models. Actually, AFAIK they are all the same. They are made by Long Perng as discovered in the thread below. 

Optically they are great, however they do have a clear aperture of only 41.5mm so you could experience vignetting with very low power EPs, in case that bothers you. 

Yes, Long Perng makes sense. Their thumbscrews are quite distinctive.

7PSiqwH.jpg

You can see them on this Long Perng focuser:

sOvgdOw.png

I can't find the original Long Perng thumbscrew for my dielectric. The replacement I have used is distinctively different. I have a feeling it was from a borked William Optics (Kunming United Optics?) diagonal.

avtgP9n.jpg

I actually managed to obtain another thumbscrew for my 'Sky-Watcher' Long Perng aftermarket focuser. The focuser originally only had one screw in the visual back. I'd honestly once considered replacing these with GSO screws as I find the LP screws a bit small and finicky. Hence why I wanted two in the visual back.

Edited by Zeta Reticulan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

William Optics (Kunming United Optics?)

Depends which diagonal, but their carbon fibre one is also a long perng. Have a look at this slightly rubbish rundown in S@N

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/six-of-the-best-2-inch-dielectric-diagonals-99-200/

Edited by badhex
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Depends which diagonal, but their carbon fibre one is also a long perng. Have a look at this slightly rubbish rundown in S@N

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/six-of-the-best-2-inch-dielectric-diagonals-99-200/

OK, thanks for the link. It's not scrolling on my Chromebook though. I'll have a better look with a different browser.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Skywatcher deluxe, skywatcher (included with 80ED etc) Omegon, opticron, William Optics carbon. All the same, with very minor cosmetic differences, and all with that 41.5mm sleeve in the telescope side. Even without that, there's a 43.5mm shoulder/lip inside the eyepiece side, ostensibly to stop the barrel crashing into the mirror. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, badhex said:

Skywatcher deluxe, skywatcher (included with 80ED etc) Omegon, opticron, William Optics carbon. All the same, with very minor cosmetic differences, and all with that 41.5mm sleeve in the telescope side. Even without that, there's a 43.5mm shoulder/lip inside the eyepiece side, ostensibly to stop the barrel crashing into the mirror. 

I'll take your word for it lol. I'm still leaning towards one huge underground robot factory myself.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

I'll take your word for it lol. I'm still leaning towards one huge underground robot factory myself.

Well we are know you're a Zeta Reticulan spy, maybe they are all manufactured in Zeta Reticulan factories and you're here to spread your alien misinformation 😂

Would explain why you have so much kit! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, badhex said:

Have a look at this slightly rubbish rundown in S@N

You are being overly 'kind' to just call it 'slight rubbish'. However it does follow a general pattern of all (99.9%) mainstream telescope and astro equipment reviews. 3 or 4 Asian made "whatevers" WIN hands down! 😞 

Company 7 with their Questars and Astro Physics refractors are obviously just expensive junk, not worth consideration according to reviews. A case of 'who pays wins'? Names such as Edmunds, Cave, Fullerscope, Broadhurst Clarkson etc etc are seldom mentioned. @Zeta Reticulan will be in dismay that his/her  Baader Zeiss Amici is not even worth an honourable mention 😞 (Howls and wails) it is ONLY priced at 670 Euros (faints), that is a lot more than I paid for a damn 10" Meade SCT!!! Then again Zeta may have a printing press within the spacecraft! Or maybe (he is) Andre Babis incognito slumming it within SGL (Andre MIGHT be an Alien, I have not checked the latest conspiracy theories)...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, badhex said:

Well we are know you're a Zeta Reticulan spy, maybe they are all manufactured in Zeta Reticulan factories and you're here to spread your alien misinformation 😂

Would explain why you have so much kit! 

If Zeta Reticulan stuff was that good I wouldn't need Chinese equipment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SthBohemia said:

You are being overly 'kind' to just call it 'slight rubbish'. However it does follow a general pattern of all (99.9%) mainstream telescope and astro equipment reviews. 3 or 4 Asian made "whatevers" WIN hands down! 😞 

Company 7 with their Questars and Astro Physics refractors are obviously just expensive junk, not worth consideration according to reviews. A case of 'who pays wins'? Names such as Edmunds, Cave, Fullerscope, Broadhurst Clarkson etc etc are seldom mentioned. @Zeta Reticulan will be in dismay that his/her  Baader Zeiss Amici is not even worth an honourable mention 😞 (Howls and wails) it is ONLY priced at 670 Euros (faints), that is a lot more than I paid for a damn 10" Meade SCT!!! Then again Zeta may have a printing press within the spacecraft! Or maybe (he is) Andre Babis incognito slumming it within SGL (Andre MIGHT be an Alien, I have not checked the latest conspiracy theories)...

IAgCofQl.jpg

It was a time when I had more money than sense.

DZwrOPQl.jpg

Now I have neither sense or money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, SthBohemia said:

Well, I try not to be negative generally, but yes, that particular '10 of the best' article is, as Kryten would say, complete and utter shash. Everything in S@N seems to get 4 stars.

I can relate to @Zeta Reticulan's current state, however as the result of my thumbscrew experience I too went nuclear with a Baader.

20220729_105846.thumb.jpg.de5f5bec9638935729b0620abc54fef1.jpg 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, badhex said:

Well, I try not to be negative generally, but yes, that particular '10 of the best' article is, as Kryten would say, complete and utter shash. Everything in S@N seems to get 4 stars.

I can relate to @Zeta Reticulan's current state, however as the result of my thumbscrew experience I too went nuclear with a Baader.

20220729_105846.thumb.jpg.de5f5bec9638935729b0620abc54fef1.jpg 

Yeah, but it's a fantastic nuclear Baader BBHS diagonal. I don't think there's a better 2" mirror on the market. I have the 1.25" version.

Edited by Zeta Reticulan
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, badhex said:

I too went nuclear with a Baader.

I may go 'nuclear' as well a 1% chance that I might purchase the item - 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113726702885?hash=item1a7aa3c525:g:1bAAAOSwOJFcvq8Z&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Dh1m3Y1GEHEQD%2Fk7KNyvrLvKx1bgkswdDfDGHPzsoq0%2FqqU5y%2BXuIS9EmHDKQOlBHXCUVVb90g08V1MAIIQYjP5%2BwCgxy38AR2BDT2VjQdxW9frtCpbHGllRlu57itkht3dcRDGS8NSMI34Ahg0LPTBfayoMjCtkF7QE67oqHQVyzeIWxYRfzJuLwVU%2BAi6kwwKKlSdxgdNrwYAuIA3sFRxLuagYyfvGuHrl%2FLkzOalekLVI5w1vJSq315eWGaCJNtr4RKh24AIv%2FRBB6EHcNJD11FfalJCGSlFGGBXvaiY|tkp%3ABFBMmqvtls1g

and fabricate a precision holder from used paper tissue cardboard tubes.

In reality I wonder if there is a big difference between the above prism and an average (economy) one within a holder....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

Worth a shot.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

Yeah, but it's a fantastic nuclear Baader BBHS diagonal. I don't think there's a better 2" mirror on the market. I have the 1.25" version.

It certainly is. As I have at least three EPs with a field stop larger than the 41.5mm clear aperture provided by the Long Perng varieties I already had, so there were only two options I considered - the Baader and the GSO. The GSO is 2-3 times cheaper than the Baader and to all intents and purposes is great, aside from the thumbscrews and a minor niggle where the 1.25" adaptor sometimes gets a bit 'caught' on entry if it's not totally square, due to the very close fit of the parts.

That said, there are zero issues with the Baader, and clicklock is just excellent.

Edited by badhex
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, badhex said:

It certainly is. As I have at least three EPs with a field stop larger than the 41.5mm clear aperture provided by the Long Perng varieties I already had, so there were only two options I considered - the Baader and the GSO. The GSO is 2-3 times cheaper than the Baader and to all intents and purposes is great, aside from the thumbscrews and a minor niggle where the 1.25" adaptor sometimes gets a bit 'caught' on entry if it's not totally square, due to the very close fit of the parts.

That said, there are zero issues with the Baader, and clicklock is just excellent.

I've noticed the same tolerance problem with GSO 2" to 1.25" adapters. Maybe GSO are using a very slightly different metric system lol.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1