SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hanging out with the robot

40 minutes ago, Elp said:

The ease of putting it outside then letting it do it's stuff is certainly appealing. Like a robot I can setup my ap rig from scratch in around 25 mins so there's quite a difference there. It's a setback though when clouds roll in and you've spent that time just to dismantle it again. These all in one units will appeal for those spur of the moment sessions and more as well as opening the hobby to more people.

The field of view looks to be quite useful for DSO.

I looked online and as you say expensive. However you add up a tripod or pier mounted mount. The OTA, filters, camera, laptop and the head ache of getting it all working, I can see it is already in existence without a price issue.

Like I said, the future is already here. Would I buy one? No, I enjoy EP astronomy too much and need to scratch the itch of owning a big Dob and seeing what ever I can see with my right eye ball (much better than my left).

I have by coincidence recently met a person who has asked me to help with his beginner astronomy needs. I told him first to buy a good pair of binoculars to learn the sky and see the obvious stuff. He did do this, but at first complained that binoculars would not show his family and friends the night sky.

I realised that what he is interested in is entertaining. I get it. He has a great observing spot but it is going to be used to show family and friends the night sky.
But the astronomer in me is appalled which is my own problem.  He wants to know nothing about astronomy, the why the how and the where so I am going to suggest one of the systems to him (price is no problem).

I am not critical of these new systems, I am a big fan of the EEVA thread and what is done there. But I maybe very old school in wanting people to understand the night sky before using a credit card to show people the night sky.

Maybe I am old fashioned and this new way could be what brings people into astronomy, which can only be a good thing. Every young person is looking at a phone screen so that must be the future. The other big issue is light pollution which these robotic mounts cancel out.

Marv