SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC4592 OSC from Pier 5 @Roboscopes

old_eyes

Curious to know how much it cost to hire the remote observatory for this? I’m struggling against the low altitude atmospheric dispersion and streetlamp light pollution from my home (Bortle 5ish)……

On 11/06/2022 at 13:36, Avocette said:

Curious to know how much it cost to hire the remote observatory for this? I’m struggling against the low altitude atmospheric dispersion and streetlamp light pollution from my home (Bortle 5ish)……

There are two models at Roboscopes (roboscopes.com), pay by the hour and joining a syndicate. Pay by the hour is what it says, and a syndicate is an annual subscription for as much imaging as you and your fellow syndicate members can get in. There are 15 scopes ranging from 200mm Canon lens to a 2953mm 17" Planewave. 5 scopes are syndicate only, the rest pay-per-hour.

To give an example the annual subscription for Pier 5, where this image was taken is €700. The hourly fee for the 17" Planewave is €25.

For both syndicate and hourly you submit your jobs (target, filters, exposure length and number of subs) and a scheduling programme optimises use of the scope for given sky conditions. It does mean that sometimes you have to wait for your data, you don't get to see the data until the job is complete, and you can't force the job to happen when you want, but those are OK compromises for me. The data comes to you as it is captured, so you have to use Blink or something similar to weed out subs with aircraft trails and cloud not severe enough to stop the run.

I use it because it gives me access to better skies (North Wales is OK from a light pollution POV, but does tend to be cloudy) and different scope camera combinations that I would probably not be able to afford (certainly not for experimentation). It is not instead of my home observatory, but an addition or extension to it.

It might not suit everyone, but it works for me. I have as much data as I can cope with processing, and syndicate friends who have different interests to me and pick great targets and framing. The Blue Horsehead was initiated by another syndicate member, and I am so glad that they did.

Check out the Roboscopes website and the Gallery section for some idea of what can be done.

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2022 at 13:36, Avocette said:

heck out another image from teh same scope 

• Like 1