Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which noise reduction software?

I've recently started DSO imaging and was impressed with the way the free Noiseware Community edition removed background noise from an image. Unfortunately, the output from this edition of the software is 8-bit jpeg only at 90% quality (i.e some image compression).

Can anyone recommend any similar noise removal software or techniques (I have Photoshop CS2) that are free or very low cost, preferably that give 16-bit output or at least uncompressed?

• 2 weeks later...
Neat Image, the original and best.

Dennis

Agree with you completely, Neat Image is fandabydoobly! Definitely the best freeware noise reduction software I've ever tried. It comes as a standalone version and also as a plug-in for Photoshop.

Dave

Hi centroid,

The Demo edition of Neat Image is freeware for non-commercial use.

I believe it limits you to the size of image that it can apply its noise reduction filters. However, I've had no problems using it with 640 x 480 webcam images and also for use with DSI-II photos taken with my 8" Meade.

You can download the 'demo' freeware version here - it doesn't time out or have nag screens or anything like that.

Neat Image 32-bit /Win :: download

I use it all the time for noise reduction and image sharpening.

Hope you like it too.

Dave

Ah, that's the problem, my camera is 16 bit, which requires the $60 Pro version ;)

I am actually waiting for £ to get back to something sensible against the $, and then I'm going to buy Noise Ninja at $80.

I have tried it, and was impressed.

The Demo is the full version, but overlays a black grid on the image.

Cheers

Dave

Archived