NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-160 in Cepheus

gorann

This very rarely imaged object from the Sharpless catalogue is located about 2.5 degrees north of the Lobster Claw and Cave Nebulae. I can only find one other image of it on Astrobin. Quite strong in Ha but no Oiii to be found by the NBZ dual-band filter. Imaged over two nights since nights are getting very short up here, so this willl be my second but last image for the season (I can say that since I have collected the data for a final one).

So, dual RASA8 and ASI2600MC (gain 100) with IDAS NBZ dual-band filters (Ha+Oiii) on a Mesu 200 mount. 90 x 5 min, so 7.5 hours. Procesed in PI and PS .

I have posted an A and B version, the latter brighter and more contrasty. I realized that my preference depends on what screen I see it on, and comments most welcome!

Cheers

Göran

20220423-24 Sh2-160 RASA1+2PS20smallSign.jpg

20220423-24 Sh2-160 RASA1+2PS24smallSign.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Lots of hydrogen out there but as you say no hidden Squid like OIII nebulae visible. I think I prefer the first one, has more dynamic range to my eye. 

1 hour ago, Lee_P said:

Thanks for sharing, this is a new one to me! Both images are great, I think the first one gets my vote though. 

Thanks a lot boys!

Yes, I just had a look at them on my mobile phone, and there the second one looks blown out, but not so much on one of my computer screens, especially earlier today when the room was quite bright.

So here is a compromise:

20220423-24 Sh2-160 RASA1+2PS26smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann

2 hours ago, gorann said:

I can only find one other image of it on Astrobin.

Nice one Göran.

Does it count that it's on my Cepheus mega-mosaic? - from May 2020.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/uxip1w/0/

I have a plan this year to revisit this region (and the mosaic) and hopefully start to get some OIII and maybe even some SII - who knows?!

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks! Very nice mosaic Adrian, I will save it for reference! But, yes, it is on a few wide field images too, including SDSS (Aladin) where I spotted it, but I bluntly decided these would not count😉.

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

I bluntly decided these would not count😉.

Haha! Fair enough! To be fair my mosaic was not actually planned - it kind of evolved over a period of time - hence the fact it is not a nice rectangle so favoured by the astro-imaging community. It's all a bit random - like me really :)

CS

Adrian

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Haha! Fair enough! To be fair my mosaic was not actually planned - it kind of evolved over a period of time - hence the fact it is not a nice rectangle so favoured by the astro-imaging community. It's all a bit random - like me really :)

CS

Adrian

I thought about that sometimes, especially when I had to crudely crop some less well planned, or rather unplanned, mosaics, just to have them fit into the usual square that squareheads enjoy😄. I think your mosaic is great and very useful!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Had another look at it this morning which resulted in a new and hopefully better version with less magenta tone on the dust.

20220423-24 Sh2-160 RASA1+2PS29smallSign.jpg

I'm comparing these on my colour-calibrated monitor. Version #3 certainly has less magenta, but also has more green. Depends on the feel you're after I suppose! #3 does look less sharp when viewed full-screen though. They're all good, but #1 is still my favourite :)

3 hours ago, Lee_P said:

I'm comparing these on my colour-calibrated monitor. Version #3 certainly has less magenta, but also has more green. Depends on the feel you're after I suppose! #3 does look less sharp when viewed full-screen though. They're all good, but #1 is still my favourite :)

Thanks Lee! Good to know. I assume with version #3 you mean #4. Maybe I should stick to #1 then (was done on my new 42" monitor at work, while the last three were done with a smaller older monitor at home in a rather bright room).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Lee! Good to know. I assume with version #3 you mean #4. Maybe I should stick to #1 then (was done on my new 42" monitor at work, while the last three were done with a smaller older monitor at home in a rather bright room).

Sorry, yes, I meant #4. Really they're all good though, choose whichever one you personally prefer :D You've inspired me to add this target to my hit list!

• Thanks 1