Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cloth/liquid marks on maksutov 127 slt mirror

So my dad cleaned out the scope again since there was dust in it again, after cleaning the mirror which is the front mirror I found those wipe marks on it on the back side of the glass when it was reassembled. Will this affect on how i can image/observe stars?

Edited by WilliamAstro

46 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

have  you not read? As you posted another thread and managed to scratch the Secondary Mirror Slow down 

I have seen this video before and from what I saw with the comments, people said that Windex is too strong for the coatings, and most of comments found how the person was cleaning the scope was not helpful.

Regards to cleaning the secondary mirror, Well, I only cleaned it once or twice from what I can remember. But I hope that doesn't make the telescope completely useless, I use my telescope for the purpose of planetary imaging with ZWO 120MC-S & 2X or 3X Barlow lens. I phoned a telescope shop and they told me I will only see discoloration on the moon's surface which is the only difference but he told me there is nothing to worry about. My biggest fear is my telescope is completely useless and I have to pay more money for a new one. 

Just now, WilliamAstro said:

I have seen this video before and from what I saw with the comments, people said that Windex is too strong for the coatings, and most of comments found how the person was cleaning the scope was not helpful.

I don't understand your obsession to clean the corrector plate I have a celestron c5 circa 90's only once have i cleared the dew and mess on the corrector plate and mine is lined with cork. and marks on the corrector mirror for refitting. Your Mak should be fine depends on how you store after a session as you say full of dust... Why?

29 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

I don't understand your obsession to clean the corrector plate I have a celestron c5 circa 90's only once have i cleared the dew and mess on the corrector plate and mine is lined with cork. and marks on the corrector mirror for refitting. Your Mak should be fine depends on how you store after a session as you say full of dust... Why?

I wanted my mirrors to be the cleanest so I will not have any concern of having it affect my images overtime.

11 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

i wouldn't worry about the odd speck,

I just want a summary of the outcome of getting scratches on the secondary mirror, can I still get good images of planets? I don’t have to worry about any slight noticeable changes? If so I will just forget about it and be happy with planetary detail on Jupiter, Saturn and even the Moon.

To be honest the best way to find out is simply to test it out.  Go out on the first clear night take an image run and inspect the results.  I doubt any regular cleaning would have any noticeable effect.  Scratching the surface however may leave something more noticeable. In any respect the best way is to go ahead and take an image that is the only real test and will give you conclusive confirmation.

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1