NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help please gents

I have a skywatcher heritage 90 and just added a wifi dongle , have synscan app on android and connected to dongle , open app and it see,s my dongle but try to connect and fails with message  " can not detect mount mode " ( az selected) any ideas ? Thanks in advance. 

Is it the virtuoso model? If so the synscan app will not work as it’s primarily for go to mounted telescopes. If you were to buy a synscan handset then that would turn your virtuoso mount into a go to.

HTH

Hi you first need to connect your Android device to the wifi that the dongle is broadcasting then use the synscan app and connect

the virtuoso mount works great with the dongle, I have a virtuoso v1.

I use the synscan pro Android app it works great on altaz mode on the virtuoso v1 mount

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Hi you first need to connect your Android device to the wifi that the dongle is broadcasting then use the synscan app and connect

the virtuoso mount works great with the dongle, I have a virtuoso v1.

I use the synscan pro Android app it works great on altaz mode on the virtuoso v1 mount

I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that it had to be a full go to. So does the app work for all of the other non go to functions?

I currently use the app to star align and then the mount tracks and has go to function. I also connect the camera DSLR to the mount using the camera cable and fire the shutter through the app. The other specific features like panoramic settings are only available when using the mount buttons directly, I suspect when a dongle isn't also connected.

Edited by happy-kat

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I currently use the app to star align and then the mount tracks and has go to function. I also connect the camera DSLR to the mount using the camera cable and fire the shutter through the app. The other specific features like panoramic settings are only available when using the mount buttons directly, I suspect when a dongle isn't also connected.

I’m puzzled as the FLO website states that to have go to you need to use a synscan handset and cable. Is this wrong?

27 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I’m puzzled as the FLO website states that to have go to you need to use a synscan handset and cable. Is this wrong?

It's wrong if it's the Virtuoso (I didn't look to see if it does say that). The WiFi "dongle" plugs into a Virtuoso in place of a handset and works with the synscan app, this is how I use mine (it's a lot cheaper than a handset, which the Virtuoso does not come with).

• Like 1

Thanks for replying gents , yes the little 90 becomes full go- to with the dongle or handset ,  as I said I'm connected to the dongle and then go to app and press connect which again see,s the WiFi but thats when it fails and gives the message about mount mode ? Its at this very last stage of connection .

Ouch I see my synscan pro app install updated yesterday and now no longer works.

Going to try rolling it back and the Pro version is needed for getting the camera connect function.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OK Apricot said:

Just a thought here, but I can't connect if I leave my mobile data switched on (for the AZ GTi). Switch that off and it's all good. 

Looking at the op screenshots, it doesn't look like he's using mobile data, good shout though as throws many off 

@Paul Bulbeckhave you tried using the app available from the skywatcher website or are you using the android play store one, I seem to remember users having to use the skywatcher website one I think 🤔, could be wrong though.

Also can you update the firmware of your mount, this may help if a newer firmware and known bug using a dongle? 

Could you use another device to try and see if that changes anything? Just throwing some ideas out there. 

Cheers 

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee

35 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Looking at the op screenshots, it doesn't look like he's using mobile data, good shout though as throws many off 

@Paul Bulbeckhave you tried using the app available from the skywatcher website or are you using the android play store one, I seem to remember users having to use the skywatcher website one I think 🤔, could be wrong though.

Also can you update the firmware of your mount, this may help if a newer firmware and known bug using a dongle? 

Could you use another device to try and see if that changes anything? Just throwing some ideas out there. 

Cheers 

Lee

Interestingly, I've just tried mine with mobile Internet active and it didn't care. The manual does state that it may not work though. The Virtuoso manual makes no mention of upgrading firmware, so it's either not possible or they aren't letting on how to. I think the OP would be wise to check what version of the App they have though, I've read several times that the version on Google Play Store doesn't work.

It's intriguing that it's reporting unable to determine mount type. Mine simply sets AZ and refuses to allow it to be changed (as expected on an AZ-only mount).

• Like 1