Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Digital inclinometer at LIDL now

Zermelo

I know that people have previously equipped manual Dobs with a home-made azimuth setting circle and an inclinometer on the tube.

LIDL are currently selling one for £12.99. It claims accuracy of 0.2 degrees, and it can be re-calibrated. The base is magnetic. Unfortunately, the backlight is green, not red. I bought one, now I just need to get the Dob to put it onto.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy-tools/parkside-digital-depth-gauge-inclinometer/p51249

image.png.477120dae0df645dd56c1e75cdbb9386.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

"Ooh!" I thought, " I'll get one of those for my dob." So I got on my bike and pedalled the three miles to my local Lidl, only to find that they weren't selling it. I should have known....😟

Ordered a cheap and nasty one from the river site as proof of concept! 😉

Edited by cajen2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

"Ooh!" I thought, " I'll get one of those for my dob." So I got on my bike and pedalled the three miles to my local Lidl, only to find that they weren't selling it. I should have known....😟

Ordered a cheap and nasty one from the river site as proof of concept! 😉

They were supposed to have been on sale from the Sunday just gone, but I know my local LIDL doesn't always stick to the dates, and being a smaller one it doesn't always stock everything that's on offer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

So this is not about the device - it's about you needing an excuse for a new telescope :D

I was thinking that it was about as convincing as "now that I bought that bag, I need an outfit and shoes to go with it"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Wixey has a green backlight.  I covered it with a couple of layers of red tail light repair tape to cut down the amount of light.   Under $5 US.  I imagine it would be inexpensive in the UK as well.

Edited by jjohnson3803

The new dob is still way off, but I tried out the inclinometer when I was levelling my Newt last night.
It works very neatly. Sticks like glue to the tube, and the digital display (with the arrow to indicate direction) is a nice complement to the bubble level. I like that you can just walk the tube around a full turn and watch what happens.